Sap Assessors Hackney

We’ll take the headache out of making sure your property is definitely compliant with building regs.
All at reasonable prices. Call us today to obtain a quotation for your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Are Sap Calculations

If you are reading this, you have more than likely been requested by someone, normally your building control representative, to supply sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can either click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Hackney SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Hackney SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Hackney SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the united kingdom government’s method of determining the energy efficiency of buildings. The calculations are needed to illustrate that a building conforms with specified energy targets laid down in the building regs.

That’s pretty much it in a brief summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are needed for 3 reasons

1. For all newly built properties
2. For a dwelling change of use, such as changing a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For overglazed extensions

The sap calculations are required to show that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

A good set of building drawings will need to be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building drawings . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced after the calculations are finished.

If your sap calculations reveal that your property is not compliant, then Assessor will give you information on upgrades that can be made to make it so. It is crucial that you liaise with your Assessor as early on in your project as possible because when the building is finished any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

Should you require guidance on a project you may have in Hackney , or require a quote, contact us or fill in our get a quotation form.


Sap Calculations Questions, See If We Have An Answer Here.

So, What Are Sap Calculations

This really is quite possibly the most common query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

This may differ considerably dependant upon the size and complexity of the property, but an average price range would be between £120 – £300. Should you also require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at the end of it there could be an additional charge of around £50 to register the EPC on the national register. Special discounts would typically be available for multiple properties especially when they are of the identical style of construction.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a building. EPC means Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report from the SAP calculations in an simple to comprehend document, that can also be used to market or rent a property.

There are actually 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans where all of the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be required by building control to demonstrate that the dwelling satisfies specified targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether the many components going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second variety of EPC is the standard one that will be needed if you are marketing, or renting a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specified thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used according to the age of the property. This particular EPC would be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, after that phone us to get more advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations created when the building has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned construction, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not some thing that can be done by yourself. Sap calculations have to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government computer software. The Assessor has to be approved under one of the accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their certification.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling require Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now popular to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the present building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other places within the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the planned extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are changing the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. Give us a call, if you are not certain if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years experience carrying Sap calculation in Hackney . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so that you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice