0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Barking and Dagenham

A team of professional Surveyors offering sap calculations in your area. E mail us for your quote on your venture.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control or your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Barking and Dagenham. But why will you need them and what are sap calculations anyhow? Then continue reading.

You can either click the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Barking and Dagenham SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Barking and Dagenham SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Barking and Dagenham SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the united kingdom government’s means of calculating the energy efficiency of buildings. Sap calculations are necessary to demonstrate that your building complies with specific energy targets laid down within the building regulations.

As a brief summary, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all newly built properties
3. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, such as altering a commercial building to residential flats.

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

Sap computations are done by a qualified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property because all of the computations are carried out from the building plans . After the calculations are done, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

Your Assessor can provide further advice in the event the calculation show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as explain to you which will be the most effective improvements to make. It might be costly if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it is advisable to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

Should you need guidance on a project you may have in or around , or require a quotation, contact us or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


Rather than trawl through a entire website to get the answers you’re searching for, we have supplied answers to the 10 most typical queries asked about SAP in Barking and Dagenham.

What Are Sap Calculations?

This is certainly probably the most frequent question asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

The average budget range will be between £100 – £300, this is depending upon the complexity and size of the property. For those who also require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at the end of it there will probably be a further charge of about £50 to register an EPC on the epc register. Special discounts would typically be available for a number of properties especially when they are of the identical type of building.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, this is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to show the energy performance of a dwelling. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an easy to understand document, that can also be used to market or rent a property.

There are really 2 kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans when all of the elements of the building are known. This will normally be needed by building control to show that a dwelling complies with specific targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether all of the components going into the property conform to the building regulations.

The second sort of EPC is the regular one that will be necessary when you are selling, or renting out a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where certain thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used based on the age of the property. This kind of EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still confused, then call us for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations generated when the dwelling has been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned building, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not something that can be done by yourself. Sap calculations must be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software. The Assessor must be certified under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their accreditation.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling require Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now fashionable to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the current building regulations the quantity of glazing must be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts within the property will need to be made to show the CO2 emissions from the current house along with the planned extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is altering the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. Phone us, if you are not sure if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Barking and Dagenham . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 to ensure you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice