0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Barking

Low priced skilled Sap Assessors. We will offer free guidance on your project. Why not contact us for a quote on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Just what Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control or maybe your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Barking. But why will you need them and just what are sap calculations anyway? Then keep reading.

You can either click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Barking SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Barking SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Barking SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s way of determining the energy efficiency of properties. The calculations are necessary to show that a building complies with certain energy targets set down within the building regs.

In a brief overview, that’s basically it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all new homes
3. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, such as

The sap calculations are necessary to demonstrate that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) conform to specified targets.

Sap calculations will be done by a qualified and accredited On Construction Domestic Energy Assessoror OCDEA for short. There is no need to visit the property as all the calculations are carried out from the building plans . An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced after the calculations are finished.

Your Assessor can provide further advice in the event the calculations show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as inform you which will be the most effective changes to make. It might be expensive if you realise at a late stage in the construction that the building isn’t compliant. So it is wise to liaise with your Assessor as early on during the project as possible.

If you require guidance on a project you may have in , or require a quote, contact us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Questions On Barking Sap Calculations, check if we have the answer here.

Just what Are Sap Calculations?

This really is by far the most common question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Do They Cost

If there are several properties with similar types of constructions, then reductions may apply. But typically for a single property the charge would be in the area of £120 – £300. By supplying the plans, you will be able to get a fixed price quote.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to show the energy performance of a building. EPC means Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an straightforward document, that could also be used to sell or rent out a property.

There are actually 2 types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all the components of the building are known. This will normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that a property meets certain targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether all the elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The second variety of EPC is the standard one that would be required when you are selling, or renting a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specified thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This kind of EPC would be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, however what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, then contact us for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations generated when the building has actually been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned construction, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing you could do yourself. Sap calculations need to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government computer software. The Assessor has to be certified under one of several certification schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their accreditation.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property need Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite fashionable to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However under the latest building regulations the quantity of glazing must be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other places of the property will need to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the planned extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are altering the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. Contact us, if you are uncertain if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Barking . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 which means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice