0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Barnet

Sap computations for new builds, dwelling change of use, or overglazed extensions that have more than 25% glazing. All at a reasonable cost. E mail us to get a estimate for your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Are Sap Calculations?

For anyone who is reading this article, you’ve probably recently been requested by someone, typically your building control officer, to provide sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can either click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Barnet SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Barnet SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Barnet SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the united kingdom government’s way of calculating the energy performance of properties. The calculations are needed to demonstrate your building complies with certain energy targets set down within the building regulations.

That’s pretty much it in a brief summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all new properties
3. For a dwelling change of use, for example altering a single family home to residential flats.

The two main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your dwelling are within set tolerances and that certain elements of the property, for example the windows, floors, walls and roof comply with specified thermal targets.

A good set of building plans must be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building plans . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced after the computations are finished.

Your Assessor can provide you with further guidance in the event the calculation show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as let you know which is the best improvements to make. It might be expensive if you realise at a late stage in the construction that your building is not compliant. So it’s wise to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible.

Should you need guidance on a project you may have in or around , or simply require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form.


Sap Calculations Questions, Find Out If We Have The Answer Listed here.

What Are Sap Calculations?

This is certainly by far the most frequent query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

If there are several properties with similar forms of constructions, then reductions may apply. But typically for a single property the cost would be in the area of £120 – £300. By providing the plans, you will be able to get a fixed price quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report derived from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is expressed on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions that would increase the rating of the dwelling.

There are actually 2 kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans when all of the elements of the building are known. This will normally be needed by building control to show that the property complies with certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which shows in detail whether all of the elements going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second type of EPC is the standard one that will be necessary if you are marketing, or renting out a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specified thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used based on the age of the property. This particular EPC would be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, however what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then phone us for additional advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations produced when the building has actually been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the building starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned dwelling, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not some thing that you can do yourself. Sap calculations have to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software programs. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their certification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property need Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But with the latest building regulations the quantity of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other areas of the property will need to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the planned extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is altering the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. If you’re unsure whether you require them, then simply contact us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Barnet . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice