0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Bedford

Do you require SAP computations for your project?We will work together with you to be sure your property is compliant with the building regs.. Call us today for a quotation for Sap calculations in Bedford.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, What Exactly Are They?

For anyone who is reading this, you’ve more than likely been asked by somebody, typically your building control official, to provide sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can click the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Bedford SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Bedford SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Bedford SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the united kingdom government’s method of determining the energy efficiency of properties. The calculations are required to demonstrate that your building complies with specific energy targets laid down in the building regs.

That’s more or less it in a simple overview.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built homes
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, such as converting a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The sap calculations are necessary to establish that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with specified targets.

The computations will be done by a qualified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessoror OCDEA for short. There is no need to visit the property as all of the computations are carried out from the building drawings . When the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

If your sap calculations reveal that your property is not compliant, then your Assessor will give you advice on upgrades that can be made to make it so. It could be expensive if you find out at a late phase in the construction that the building isn’t compliant. So it is wise to liaise with your Assessor as early on in the project as possible.

If you require guidance on a project you may have in , or simply require a quotation, contact us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Rather than trawl through a entire website to obtain the answers you’re trying to find, we have offered answers to the ten most frequent questions asked about SAP in Bedford.

Sap Calculations, What Exactly Are They?

This really is probably the most frequent query asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

What Is The Cost Of Sap Calculations

We would be pleased to offer discounts, especially for multiple dwellings that are the exact same or very similar design. But typically for a single property the cost would be in the region of £120 – £300. By supplying the plans, you will be able to get yourself a fixed quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to demonstrate the energy performance of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report derived from the Sap calculations that produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is shown on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions that would increase the rating of your property.

There are actually 2 kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans where all of the components of the building are known. This would normally be required by building control to demonstrate that a property complies with specific targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether all the elements going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second type of EPC is the common one that would be necessary for anyone who is marketing, or renting out a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specific thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of the property. This particular EPC would be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still confused, after that phone us to get more assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations generated after the building has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the building starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed dwelling, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not something you could do by yourself. The calculations have to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government program. The Assessor must be certified under one of several certification schemes and is regularly audited to keep their accreditation.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property need to have Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite trendy to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the present building regulations the amount of glazing can be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other parts of the property will need to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house and the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are changing the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. Phone us, if you are unsure if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Bedford . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice