0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Bethnal Green

Do you need SAP calculations for your job?We will work with you to be sure your dwelling is compliant. Contact us for your quotation for Sap calculations in Bethnal Green.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

For anyone who is reading this, you’ve more than likely been recently requested by someone, usually your building control officer, to supply sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Bethnal Green SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Bethnal Green SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Bethnal Green SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s method of determining the energy performance of properties. These calculations are necessary to show that a building conforms with specified energy targets set down in the building regs.

As a quick summary, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling change of use, such as converting a commercial building to domestic flats.
3. For overglazed extensions

The two main areas which the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the property are within set tolerances and that particular elements of the property, such as the windows, roof, floors and walls comply with certain thermal targets.

A good set of construction drawings will need to be given to the Assessor, as all the calculations are done from the building drawings ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced once the calculations are completed.

Your Assessor can provide additional advice if the calculation show your building isn’t compliant, as well as explain to you which would be the most effective changes to make. It can be costly if you find out at a late phase in the construction that your building is not compliant. So it’s advisable to liaise with your Assessor as early on during the project as possible.

Should you require advice on a project you may have in , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form.


Here we have provided the most typical queries asked about SAP Calculations in Bethnal Green.

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

This is certainly quite possibly the most common query asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

If there are various properties with similar types of constructions, then special discounts may apply. But typically for a single dwelling the cost would be in the region of £120 – £300. By providing the plans, you will be able to get yourself a fixed quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a property. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an easy to understand report, that could also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are actually two kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all of the elements of the building are known. This will normally be needed by building control to show that a dwelling meets specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all the elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The second type of EPC is the regular one that will be necessary for anybody who is marketing, or renting out a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where particular thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This kind of EPC would be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then simply phone us to get more information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations produced once the dwelling has actually been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the building starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed dwelling, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not some thing that can be done by yourself. Sap calculations have to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government computer software. The Assessor must be certified under one of the certification schemes and is regularly audited to maintain their qualification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now popular to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However with the present building regulations the quantity of glazing must be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts of the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house along with the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is altering the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. If you’re not sure whether you require them, then give us a call.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Bethnal Green . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice