0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Birmingham

Low priced expert Sap Assessors. We will give free advice for your project. Why not contact us to obtain a quote on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Exactly Are Sap Calculations

If you are reading this article, you’ve more than likely recently been asked by somebody, normally your building control representative, to supply sap calculations for your building project.

You can click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Birmingham SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Birmingham SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Birmingham SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the UK government’s procedure for determining the energy performance of buildings. The calculations are necessary to demonstrate that your building conforms with specific energy targets set down within the building regulations.

That’s more or less it in a brief summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling change of use, e.g altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have over 20% glazing

The sap calculations must establish that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with specific targets.

A good set of building plans must be provided to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building plans . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. After the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

If the sap calculations show that your property isn’t compliant, your Assessor will give you recommendations on improvements which can be made to make it so. It can be expensive if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building isn’t compliant. So it is advisable to liaise with your Assessor as early on in the project as possible.

If you require advice on a project you could have in , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


Queries About Birmingham Sap Calculations, find out if we have the answer here.

So, What Exactly Are Sap Calculations

This is probably the most frequent query asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

This might differ considerably depending upon the size and complexity of the property, but an average budget will be between £120 – £300. There will probably be a further fee of approximately £50 if an Energy Performance Certificate is called for at the end of the construction. For a number of properties of comparable types, then discount rates would be available.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to show the energy effectiveness of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report derived from the Sap calculations that produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is expressed on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations which would improve the rating of the property.

There are really 2 types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans when all of the elements of the building are known. This would normally be required by building control to demonstrate that a property satisfies specific targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether all the components going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The 2nd sort of EPC is the typical one that would be required for anyone who is marketing, or renting a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where particular thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used according to the age of your property. This sort of EPC will be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, then simply phone us for further advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations generated after the building has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed building, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not some thing you can do yourself. Sap calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government computer software. The Assessor needs to be approved under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their certification.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new property need Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now popular to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However with the latest building regulations the amount of glazing can be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts within the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the proposed extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are modifying the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. Call us, if you are not sure if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Birmingham . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice