0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Bloxwich

We’ll take the frustration out of ensuring that your dwelling is definitely compliant with building regs.
All at a reasonable cost. Contact us to obtain a quotation on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

For anyone who is reading this, you have more than likely been asked by another person, normally your building control representative, to provide sap calculations for your building project.

You can click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Bloxwich SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Bloxwich SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Bloxwich SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the united kingdom government’s method of determining the energy efficiency of properties. Sap calculations are necessary to illustrate your building conforms with certain energy targets laid down in the building regulations.

As a short overview, that’s basically it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new properties
2. For a dwelling change of use, such as altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The 2 main areas that the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from your property are within set tolerances and that certain components of the property, such as the walls, windows , floors and roof comply with certain thermal targets.

A good set of construction plans must be given to the Assessor, as all the calculations are done from the building plans ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced once the calculations are finished.

Your Assessor can give you additional guidance in the event the calculations show your dwelling isn’t compliant, as well as inform you which will be the best improvements to make. It could be costly if you realise at a late phase in the construction that your building isn’t compliant. So it is wise to liaise with your Assessor as early on during the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you need guidance on a project you could have in , or simply require a quote, call us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Here we have presented the most common questions asked about SAP Calculations in Bloxwich.

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

This is certainly quite possibly the most frequent query asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

The typical budget range can be between £100 – £300, this is depending upon the complexity and size of the property. There may be an extra cost of around £50 if an Energy Performance Certificate is called for at the end of the construction. For multiple properties of similar types, then discounts would be available.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a building. EPC means Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an simple to grasp report, that can also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are actually 2 types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans when all the components of the building are known. This would normally be required by building control to demonstrate that a dwelling complies with certain targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether all of the elements going into the property conform to the building regulations.

The second variety of EPC is the common one that would be required for anyone who is selling, or renting a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specific thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used based on the age of the property. This particular EPC would be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, after that contact us to get more assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations created after the building has actually been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed construction, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not something that you can do by yourself. The calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software programs. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to keep their qualification.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite modern to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However under the current building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations in the thermal elements in other areas within the property will need to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house along with the proposed extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is changing the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. If you’re not sure whether you require them, then contact us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years experience carrying Sap calculation in Bloxwich . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 to ensure you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice