0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Bromley

A group of experienced Assessors delivering sap calculations in your area. E mail us for your quotation on your venture.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control, or perhaps your architect requested that you get sap calculations. But why do you need them and what exactly are sap calculations anyhow? Then read on.

You can either click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Bromley SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Bromley SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Bromley SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s means of determining the energy performance of buildings. Sap calculations are needed to demonstrate your building conforms with specified energy targets set down within the building regulations.

In a quick summary, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use,for example converting a commercial building to domestic flats.
3. For overglazed extensions

The two main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your property are within set tolerances and that particular elements of the property, such as the walls, roof, windows and floors comply with certain thermal energy targets.

Sap calculations are carried out by a qualified and accredited On Construction Domestic Energy Assessoror OCDEA for short. There is not any need to visit the property as all of the calculations are carried out from the building plans . When the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

If the sap calculations reveal that your property is not compliant, the Assessor will give you recommendations on upgrades that may be made to make it so. It’s essential to liaise with your Assessor as early on in the project as possible because when the building is finished any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

If you require guidance on a project you could have in , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form.


SAP Calculations in Bromley The 10 Most Frequent Questions Asked.

So, What Are Sap Calculations?

This really is probably the most frequent question asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

We will be pleased to offer discount rates, in particular for properties which are of the same or very similar design. But typically for a single dwelling the cost would be in the region of £120 – £300. By providing the plans, you will be able to get a fixed price quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to display the energy effectiveness of a building. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report derived from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is expressed on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations which would increase the rating of the property.

There are actually 2 kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans where all of the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be needed by building control to show that the dwelling meets specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether the many elements going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second form of EPC is the regular one that would be needed for anyone who is marketing, or renting out a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specified thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used based on the age of the property. This type of EPC would be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still confused, after that call us to get more advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations created after the dwelling has actually been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it ought to have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned dwelling, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not something you can do by yourself. Sap calculations need to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software. The Assessor must be certified under one of several accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their certification.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now popular to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But under the current building regulations the quantity of glazing can be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts of the property will have to be made to show the CO2 emissions from the existing house and the planned extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is modifying the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. If you’re uncertain whether you require them, then contact us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Bromley . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice