0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Bromley

Affordable expert Sap Assessors. We will provide totally free guidance on your project. Why not call us today to obtain a quote on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, Just What Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control or maybe your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Bromley. But why will you need them and just what are sap calculations anyhow? Then read on.

You can click the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Bromley SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Bromley SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Bromley SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s way of determining the energy performance of dwellings. These calculations are required to show your building conforms with certain energy targets laid down within the building regs.

That’s pretty much it in a brief summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling change of use, for example altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have over 20% glazing

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

A good set of building drawings must be provided to the Assessor, because all the calculations are done from the building drawings ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. When the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

Your Assessor can provide you with additional advice if the calculation show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as advise you which is the most effective changes to make. It is essential to liaise with the Assessor as early on in your project as possible because once the building is finished any non-compliances could be quite costly to rectify.

Should you need advice on a project you may have in , or simply require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


Rather than trawl through a whole website to obtain the answers you’re trying to find, we’ve supplied answers to the ten most usual queries asked about SAP in Bromley.

So, Just What Are Sap Calculations?

This really is quite possibly the most common question asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

We would be pleased to provide discounts, in particular for multiple dwellings that are the exact same or very similar construction. But typically for a single dwelling the cost will be in the area of £120 – £300. By providing the plans, it will be possible to get yourself a fixed quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to display the energy performance of a building. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report created from the Sap calculations that produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is shown on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions which would increase the rating of the property.

There are really 2 kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans when all of the components of the building are known. This will normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that the dwelling complies with certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether all of the components going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The second type of EPC is the regular one that would be needed for anybody who is marketing, or renting out a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specified thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of your property. This sort of EPC will be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, then contact us for additional advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations created when the dwelling has been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the building starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned dwelling, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not something that can be done yourself. Sap calculations must be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government program. The Assessor has to be certified under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their accreditation.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling require Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now modern to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the latest building regulations the amount of glazing can be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas within the property will need to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house along with the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is changing the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. If you’re unsure whether you require them, then phone us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Bromley . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice