0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Broom Hill

We do most sizes of residential assignments requiring SAP calculations. All at competitive prices. Contact us to get a quote for your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

For anyone who is reading this article, you’ve probably been recently asked by somebody, typically your building control representative, to provide sap calculations for your building project.

You can either click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Broom Hill SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Broom Hill SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Broom Hill SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s procedure for calculating the energy performance of properties. Sap calculations are needed to prove that a building conforms with specific energy targets set down within the building regulations.

In a short summary, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for 3 reasons

1. For all new properties
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use,such as converting a commercial building to domestic flats.
3. For overglazed extensions

The two main areas which the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your dwelling are within set tolerances and that certain components of the property, such as the roof, walls ,floors, and windows comply with certain thermal energy targets

A good set of building drawings will need to be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building drawings . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced once the calculations are completed.

If the sap calculations reveal that your property is not compliant, the Assessor will give you advice on improvements that may be made to make it so. It is essential to liaise with your Assessor as early on in your project as possible because when the building is completed any non-compliances could be quite costly to rectify.

Should you need advice on a project you could have in , or simply require a quote, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form.


Here we have provided the most frequent queries asked about SAP Calculations in Broom Hill.

So, What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

This is probably the most common question asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

The average cost range can be between £100 – £300, this can be depending on the complexity and size of the property. There will probably be a further fee of about £50 if an EPC is needed at the end of the construction. For a number of dwellings of comparable types, then special discounts could well be offered.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to demonstrate the energy performance of a building. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an simple to grasp report, which could also be used to market or rent out a property.

There are actually two types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans where all the components of the construction are known. This will normally be required by building control to demonstrate that a dwelling meets specific targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which shows in detail whether the many components going into the property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd type of EPC is the common one that would be needed for anyone who is selling, or renting a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where particular thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used based on the age of the property. This type of EPC would be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still confused, then give us a call for further information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations created once the dwelling has been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the construction starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned building, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not something you can do yourself. Sap calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government program. The Assessor must be approved under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep their accreditation.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling require Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now fashionable to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But under the current building regulations the amount of glazing can be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts within the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the planned extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is changing the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. If you’re unsure whether you need them, then phone us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Broom Hill . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice