0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Bury

Low cost knowledgeable Sap Assessors. We will provide free guidance on your project. Why not get in touch for your quote on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, Just What Are They

Have building control, or even your architect asked you to get sap calculations. Why will you need them and precisely what are sap calculations anyway? Then read on.

You can either click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Bury SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Bury SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Bury SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the united kingdom government’s procedure for determining the energy efficiency of buildings. The calculations are necessary to illustrate your building conforms with certain energy targets set down within the building regs.

That’s pretty much it in a simple summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For all new properties
2. For a dwelling change of use, e.g altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have more than 25% glazing

The 2 main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your dwelling are within set tolerances and that certain elements of the property, such as the roof, floors, walls and windows comply with specified thermal energy targets.

A good set of construction drawings will need to be provided to the Assessor, as all the calculations are done from the building drawings ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced after the calculations are done.

Your Assessor can give you further advice in the event the calculations show your dwelling isn’t compliant, as well as let you know which would be the best changes to make. It may be costly if you find out at a late stage in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it is advisable to liaise with your Assessor as early on during the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you require guidance on a project you may have in or around , or simply require a quote, call us or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


SAP Calculations in Bury The Ten Most Frequent Questions Asked.

Sap Calculations, Just What Are They

This is certainly by far the most common query asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

What Is The Cost Of Sap Calculations

If there are a number of properties with similar forms of constructions, then special discounts may apply. But typically for a single dwelling the price will be in the area of £120 – £300. By providing the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed quote.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to show the energy effectiveness of a dwelling. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report created from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is expressed on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations which would enhance the rating of the dwelling.

There are really two types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans when all of the elements of the building are known. This would normally be required by building control to show that a dwelling meets certain targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which shows in detail whether the many elements going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The 2nd variety of EPC is the typical one that will be required for anyone who is selling, or renting out a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specific thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used according to the age of your property. This sort of EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, however what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, then simply contact us to get more assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations generated once the building has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed dwelling, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not something that can be done by yourself. Sap calculations have to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government software programs. The Assessor has to be certified under one of several certification schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their certification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite modern to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But under the present building regulations the amount of glazing can be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts within the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions from the existing house along with the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is altering the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. Contact us, if you are not certain if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Bury . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so that you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice