0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Cambridge

If you are searching for Sap calculations in East of England or Cambridge, then you certainly have come to the right place. Get in touch for a quote on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, What Exactly Are They?

If you are reading this article, you have probably been recently requested by someone, typically your building control officer, to supply sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can either click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Cambridge SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Cambridge SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Cambridge SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the UK government’s procedure for calculating the energy performance of properties. These calculations are required to show your building conforms with certain energy targets laid down within the building regulations.

As a short summary, that’s more or less it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, e.g altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The two main areas that the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the property are within set tolerances and that certain elements of the property, such as the floors, roof, walls and windows comply with specified thermal targets.

Sap computations will be done by a certified and accredited On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is not any need to visit the property because all the computations are carried out from the building drawings ,so a good set of plans are very important. Once the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

Your Assessor can provide you with further guidance in the event the calculations show your building isn’t compliant, as well as advise you which is the best improvements to make. It is crucial that you liaise with your Assessor as early on in the project as possible because once the building is finished any non-compliances could be quite costly to rectify.

If you require guidance on a project you could have in , or require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


SAP Calculations in Cambridge The Ten Most Typical Questions Asked.

Sap Calculations, What Exactly Are They?

This really is by far the most common question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

If there are various properties with similar types of constructions, then special discounts may apply. For single dwellings you would then be looking in the region of £120 – £300 depending on the intricacy of the building along with the measurements. By providing the plans, you will be able to get a fixed quotation.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to show the energy efficiency of a building. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement of the SAP calculations in an simple to grasp document, which could also be used to market or rent a property.

There are really two types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans when all the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be needed by building control to show that a dwelling complies with certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether the many elements going into the property conform to the building regulations.

The second sort of EPC is the regular one that would be necessary when you are selling, or renting a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specified thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of the property. This type of EPC would be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, however what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still confused, after that give us a call for additional advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations created once the building has actually been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed dwelling, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not something you could do by yourself. Sap calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software. The Assessor has to be approved under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their accreditation.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling need Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite popular to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But with the current building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other areas within the property will have to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the proposed extension is not any worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is changing the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. Give us a call, if you are not certain if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Cambridge . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so that you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice