0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Childs Hill

If you are looking for Sap calculations in London or Childs Hill, then you definitely have come to the right place. Call us today for a quote on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

For anyone who is reading this article, you’ve probably recently been asked by another person, usually your building control official, to provide sap calculations for your building project.

You can click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Childs Hill SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Childs Hill SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Childs Hill SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the united kingdom government’s procedure for calculating the energy efficiency of buildings. These calculations are required to prove that a building conforms with certain energy targets laid down in the building regs.

That’s basically it in a simple summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built dwellings
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, such as altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

Sap calculations are carried out by a qualified and accredited On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property as all of the calculations are carried out from the building plans . When the calculations are done, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

If your sap calculations reveal that your property isn’t compliant, the Assessor will give you suggestions about improvements which can be made to make it so. It may be costly if you find out at a late stage in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it’s best to liaise with your Assessor as early on during the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you require advice on a project you could have in , or require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quotation form.


Sap Calculations Queries, See Whether We Have The Answer Listed here.

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

This is by far the most common query asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

The typical price range will be between £100 – £300, this is depending upon the difficulty and proportions of your property. If you also need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at the end of it there may be another charge of about £50 to lodge an EPC on the register. For multiple dwellings of comparable types, then discounts might be available.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to display the energy performance of a property. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement from the SAP calculations in an simple to comprehend report, which could also be used to market or rent out a property.

There are actually two types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans when all of the elements of the building are known. This would normally be needed by building control to show that the dwelling meets certain targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether all of the components going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The 2nd variety of EPC is the common one that will be necessary for anybody who is marketing, or renting out a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specific thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This type of EPC would be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still confused, then contact us for further advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations produced after the dwelling has actually been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned dwelling, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not something you can do yourself. Sap calculations have to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government software. The Assessor needs to be approved under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep their accreditation.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling require Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite fashionable to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the latest building regulations the amount of glazing can be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other places within the property will need to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is altering the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. Contact us, if you are not sure if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Childs Hill . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 which means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice