0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Colchester

A group of very skilled Assessors providing sap calculations in your area. Call us today to get a quotation on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control, or even your architect asked that you get sap calculations. Why will you need them and exactly what are sap calculations anyhow? Then keep reading.

You can either click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Colchester SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Colchester SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Colchester SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the united kingdom government’s procedure for calculating the energy performance of buildings. The calculations are necessary to prove that your building complies with specified energy targets laid down in the building regulations.

That’s basically it in a simple summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, such as altering a commercial building to domestic flats.
3. For extensions that have more than 25% glazing

The two main areas which the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your dwelling are within set tolerances and that particular elements of the property, such as the floors, windows, walls and roof comply with certain thermal energy targets.

A good set of building plans must be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building plans . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. After the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

If the sap calculations reveal that your property is not compliant, your Assessor will give you information on upgrades that can be made to make it so. It’s very important to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible because when the building is finished any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

If you need guidance on a project you could have in or around , or require a quotation, contact us or fill in our get a quote form.


Sap Calculations Questions, Find Out If We Have The Answer Below.

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

This is certainly probably the most frequent query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Do They Cost

The typical cost range can be between £100 – £300, that is depending upon the complexity and size of your property. There will probably be an extra cost of about £50 if an Energy Performance Certificate is required at the end of the build. For several properties of comparable designs, then discounts would be offered.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to display the energy effectiveness of a property. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement from the SAP calculations in an simple to comprehend document, which could also be used to market or rent a property.

There are actually two types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans when all of the elements of the construction are known. This would normally be required by building control to demonstrate that the dwelling satisfies specified targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether the many components going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The second variety of EPC is the regular one that would be needed for anybody who is marketing, or renting a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specific thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This particular EPC would be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still confused, then call us for additional information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations produced after the dwelling has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the building starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed dwelling, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not something you can do by yourself. Sap calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government software. The Assessor has to be certified under one of several certification schemes and is regularly audited to maintain their accreditation.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling require Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now modern to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However with the present building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other areas of the property will need to be made to show that the CO2 emissions from the current house and the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are modifying the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. Phone us, if you are uncertain if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years experience carrying Sap calculation in Colchester . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice