0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Dudley

Easy and quick Sap calculations from local qualified Assessors. Call us today to get a quote for your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, Exactly What Are They

If you are reading this, you have more than likely recently been asked by someone, typically your building control official, to provide sap calculations for your building project.

You can click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Dudley SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Dudley SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Dudley SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the united kingdom government’s means of calculating the energy performance of properties. These calculations are needed to illustrate your building conforms with specific energy targets set down within the building regs.

As a simple overview, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For all new properties
2. For a dwelling change of use, such as altering a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have more than 25% glazing

The 2 main areas which the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the dwelling are within set tolerances and that particular elements of the property, such as the walls, roof, windows and floors comply with specified thermal targets.

A good set of building drawings must be provided to the Assessor, because all the calculations are done from the building drawings ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. After the calculations are done, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

If your sap calculations reveal that your property isn’t compliant, the Assessor will give you suggestions about upgrades which can be made to make it so. It can be costly if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it is best to liaise with your Assessor as early on in the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

Should you require advice on a project you may have in , or simply require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


Rather than trawl through a entire website to get the answers you’re seeking, we have provided answers to the ten most common queries asked about SAP in Dudley.

Sap Calculations, Exactly What Are They

This is certainly quite possibly the most frequent question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

If there are various properties with similar types of constructions, then reductions may apply. But typically for a single dwelling the charge will be in the region of £120 – £300. By supplying the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to display the energy efficiency of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report produced by the Sap calculations that produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is shown on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations that would increase the rating of your dwelling.

There are actually 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans where all of the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be needed by building control to show that the dwelling complies with specific targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether the many components going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd form of EPC is the common one that would be required if you are marketing, or renting out a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where certain thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This particular EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then phone us to get more information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations generated after the dwelling has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the construction starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed construction, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not something that you can do by yourself. The calculations have to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government program. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of several certification schemes and is regularly audited to maintain their accreditation.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite fashionable to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But under the current building regulations the quantity of glazing must be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas of the property will need to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are altering the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. If you’re uncertain whether you will need them, then simply give us a call.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Dudley . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 which means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice