0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Hackney

Need SAP calculations for your job?We’ll work together with you to ensure your dwelling is compliant. Get in touch for a quotation for Sap calculations in Hackney.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Are Sap Calculations

Have building control or maybe your architect requested you to get sap calculations in Hackney. But why do you need them and just what are sap calculations anyhow? Then read on.

You can either click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Hackney SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Hackney SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Hackney SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the united kingdom government’s method of determining the energy efficiency of buildings. Sap calculations are needed to illustrate that a building conforms with specified energy targets laid down in the building regs.

In a short overview, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new homes
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, such as altering a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The 2 main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your property are within set tolerances and that certain elements of the property, such as the windows, walls , roof, and floors comply with certain thermal energy targets.

A good set of building drawings will need to be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building drawings ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. Once the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

Your Assessor can give you additional advice if the calculation show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as tell you which would be the best improvements to make. It can be expensive if you find out at a late stage in the construction that the building isn’t compliant. So it’s best to liaise with your Assessor as early on during the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

Should you require guidance on a project you may have in , or simply require a quote, contact us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Questions About Hackney Sap Calculations, check if we have an answer here.

So, What Are Sap Calculations

This really is quite possibly the most common query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

This may differ considerably dependant upon the size and complexity of the property, but an average price range would be between £120 – £300. Should you also require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at the end of it there could be an additional charge of around £50 to register the EPC on the national register. Special discounts would typically be available for multiple properties especially when they are of the identical style of construction.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a building. EPC means Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement from the SAP calculations in an simple to comprehend document, that could also be used to market or rent a property.

There are actually 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans where all of the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be required by building control to show that the dwelling satisfies specified targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether the many components going into the property conform to the building regulations.

The second variety of EPC is the standard one that will be needed if you are marketing, or renting a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where particular thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used according to the age of the property. This particular EPC would be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, then simply phone us for further advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations created when the dwelling has been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed construction, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not something that can be done by yourself. Sap calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government computer software. The Assessor has to be approved under one of the accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their accreditation.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling require Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now modern to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the latest building regulations the amount of glazing must be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas within the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the proposed extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are changing the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. If you’re not sure whether you require them, then simply phone us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years experience carrying Sap calculation in Hackney . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so that you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice