0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Halesowen

Quick and easy Sap calculations from local certified Assessors. Call us to get a quote on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

For anyone who is reading this article, you’ve probably been recently requested by someone, typically your building control official, to provide sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can either click on the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Halesowen SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Halesowen SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Halesowen SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s means of calculating the energy performance of properties. These calculations are required to prove that a building conforms with specific energy targets laid down in the building regs.

That’s more or less it in a brief summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new homes
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use,e.g altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have over 20% glazing

The two main areas which the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your property are within set tolerances and that certain elements of the property, for example the windows, walls , floors and roof comply with certain thermal energy targets.

Sap calculations will be done by a certified and certified On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property because all of the calculations are carried out from the building plans . An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced after the calculations are done.

Your Assessor can provide you with further advice in the event the calculation show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as inform you which will be the most effective improvements to make. It’s important to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible because when the building is completed any non-compliances could be quite costly to rectify.

Should you require guidance on a project you could have in , or require a quote, contact us or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


Want an answer to a question you might have about SAP calculations in Halesowen? Listed below are the ten most common questions.

So, What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

This really is by far the most common query asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

This might vary considerably depending upon the measurements and complexity of the property, but a standard budget would be between £120 – £300. There may be a further cost of approximately £50 if an Energy Performance Certificate is called for at the end of the construction. Discounts would typically be available for multiple properties especially when they are of the same form of construction.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to display the energy performance of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report created from the Sap calculations that produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is shown on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions which would increase the rating of your property.

There are actually two types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all of the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be needed by building control to show that a property meets specific targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether all of the elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd form of EPC is the typical one that will be needed for anyone who is marketing, or renting a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where particular thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used according to the age of your property. This sort of EPC would be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, after that phone us for additional information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations generated after the building has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed dwelling, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing you can do by yourself. Sap calculations need to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government program. The Assessor must be approved under one of several accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to keep their certification.

What Info is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property require Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the present building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other parts within the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house and the proposed extension is not any worse when compared to the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are altering the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. If you’re not sure whether you require them, then simply give us a call.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Halesowen . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice