0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Harlow

We do all sizes of non commercial projects requiring SAP computations. All at affordable prices. E mail us to get a quote for your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

If you are reading this, you’ve more than likely been recently asked by somebody, usually your building control representative, to supply sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Harlow SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Harlow SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Harlow SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the united kingdom government’s method of determining the energy efficiency of dwellings. The calculations are required to prove that your building conforms with specified energy targets set down within the building regs.

That’s pretty much it in a quick overview.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built properties
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, for example altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The two main areas that the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the dwelling are within set tolerances and that particular components of the property, for example the walls, floors, windows and roof comply with specified thermal energy targets.

A good set of construction plans must be given to the Assessor, because all the calculations are done from the building plans . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced once the computations are done.

Your Assessor can provide you with additional advice in the event the calculation show your building isn’t compliant, as well as advise you which would be the best improvements to make. It can be expensive if you find out at a late stage in the construction that the building isn’t compliant. So it is best to liaise with the Assessor as early on during the project as possible.

If you need guidance on a project you may have in or around , or require a quotation, contact us or fill in our get a quote form.


Sap Calculations Queries, Find Out If We Have An Answer Here.

So, Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

This is quite possibly the most frequent query asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Do They Cost

This could differ considerably depending on the measurements and complication of the dwelling, however a typical price range would be between £120 – £300. There may be an additional fee of approximately £50 if an EPC is needed at the end of the build. Special discounts would typically be available for a number of properties especially when they are of the same form of design.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, this is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to demonstrate the energy efficiency of a building. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report created from the Sap calculations that produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is expressed on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions which would enhance the rating of the dwelling.

There are really 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans where all the components of the building are known. This would normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that a dwelling meets specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all the components going into the property conform to the building regulations.

The second type of EPC is the regular one that will be necessary for anybody who is marketing, or renting a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where certain thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used according to the age of the property. This sort of EPC would be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, however what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then simply phone us to get more assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations produced once the dwelling has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the building starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed construction, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not some thing that can be done yourself. The calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government program. The Assessor must be approved under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their certification.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite trendy to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the latest building regulations the amount of glazing must be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas within the property will have to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the current house along with the proposed extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is altering the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. Give us a call, if you are not sure if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with several years experience carrying Sap calculation in Harlow . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice