0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Kensington and Chelsea

Low priced experienced Sap Assessors. We will give totally free information on your project. Why not call us today to obtain a quotation on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control or perhaps your architect requested you to get sap calculations in Kensington and Chelsea. But why do you need them and what exactly are sap calculations anyhow? Then read on.

You can click on the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Kensington and Chelsea SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Kensington and Chelsea SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Kensington and Chelsea SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s method of calculating the energy efficiency of buildings. These calculations are required to prove that your building complies with specified energy targets laid down within the building regs.

In a simple summary, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling change of use, for example converting a commercial building to domestic flats.
3. For extensions that have over 20% glazing

The sap calculations are required to establish that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) conform to certain targets.

Sap computations will be done by a qualified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is not any need to visit the property as all the computations are carried out from the building plans ,so a good set of plans are essential. Once the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

Your Assessor can provide you with additional guidance if the calculation show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as tell you which will be the most effective improvements to make. It’s very important to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible because once the building is completed any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

Should you need advice on a project you could have in , or require a quote, give us a call or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Rather than trawl through a entire website to obtain the explanations you’re interested in, we’ve given explanations to the ten most usual queries asked about SAP in Kensington and Chelsea.

What Are Sap Calculations?

This is certainly quite possibly the most frequent question asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

What Is The Cost Of Sap Calculations

We will be pleased to offer discounts, especially for properties which are the exact same or similar design. For individual properties you would be looking in the region of £120 – £300 dependant upon the complexity of your design and also the measurements. By supplying the plans, you will be able to get a fixed quote.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will require depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy efficiency of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report derived from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is expressed on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions that would enhance the rating of your dwelling.

There are actually two types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans when all the components of the construction are known. This would normally be needed by building control to show that the dwelling meets specified targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether all the elements going into the property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd sort of EPC is the typical one that would be necessary for anybody who is selling, or renting a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specific thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of the property. This particular EPC would be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, then call us for further information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations generated once the building has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the building starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned construction, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not something that you can do by yourself. Sap calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government computer software. The Assessor needs to be approved under one of the accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to keep their certification.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now modern to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But under the current building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas within the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions from the existing house and the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are modifying the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. If you’re not certain whether you need them, then simply give us a call.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with many years experience carrying Sap calculation in Kensington and Chelsea . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any project nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice