0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Kensington

We do most sizes of residential assignments needing SAP computations. All at the best prices. E mail us for a quotation on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Are Sap Calculations

Have building control or even your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Kensington. Why will you need them and precisely what are sap calculations anyway? Then keep reading.

You can either click the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Kensington SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Kensington SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Kensington SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s way of determining the energy efficiency of dwellings. These calculations are required to illustrate that your building complies with specific energy targets laid down in the building regulations.

In a simple overview, that’s basically it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built properties
2. For a dwelling change of use, for example altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The two main areas that the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from your property are within set tolerances and that particular components of the property, such as the walls, windows, roof and floors comply with certain thermal energy targets.

A good set of construction plans must be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building plans . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. Once the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

If your sap calculations show that your property is not compliant, then your Assessor will give you suggestions about upgrades that can be made to make it so. It could be expensive if you find out at a late stage in the construction that your building is not compliant. So it is wise to liaise with your Assessor as early on during the project as possible.

If you need advice on a project you may have in , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form.


Sap Calculations Queries, See If We Have The Answer Listed here.

What Are Sap Calculations

This is quite possibly the most common question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

What Is The Cost Of Sap Calculations

If there are several properties with similar forms of constructions, then reductions may apply. For single properties you would be looking in the range of £120 – £300 depending upon the difficulty of your building and also the size. By supplying the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed quotation.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy efficiency of a property. EPC means Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report from the SAP calculations in an easy to understand report, which can also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are really 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all of the components of the building are known. This will normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that a dwelling satisfies specific targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which shows in detail whether the many elements going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second form of EPC is the typical one that would be needed when you are marketing, or renting out a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where certain thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used based on the age of the property. This sort of EPC would be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, then phone us to get more assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations produced once the building has been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the building starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed construction, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing you could do by yourself. Sap calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software programs. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to keep their accreditation.

What Info is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite modern to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But with the present building regulations the amount of glazing can be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas within the property will need to be made to show that the CO2 emissions from the existing house and the proposed extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are changing the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. Call us, if you are not certain if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years experience carrying Sap calculation in Kensington . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so that you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice