0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Kidderminster

Simple and fast Sap computations from local certified Surveyors. Contact us for a quote for your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

If you are reading this article, you’ve more than likely been requested by somebody, typically your building control officer, to supply sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can click the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Kidderminster SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Kidderminster SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Kidderminster SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the united kingdom government’s method of determining the energy efficiency of buildings. These calculations are necessary to illustrate that your building complies with certain energy targets laid down in the building regulations.

In a brief summary, that’s pretty much it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

The three main reasons Sap calculations are required

1. For all newly built properties
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use,such as altering a commercial building to domestic flats.
3. For extensions that have over 20% glazing

The two main areas which the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from your dwelling are within set tolerances and that certain components of the property, for example the floors, walls , windows and roof comply with specified thermal energy targets.

A good set of construction drawings must be provided to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building drawings ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced once the computations are finished.

If your sap calculations show that your property is not compliant, your Assessor will give you guidance on improvements which can be made to make it so. It might be costly if you find out at a late phase in the construction that your building is not compliant. So it is wise to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible.

If you need advice on a project you could have in , or simply require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


SAP Calculations in Kidderminster The Ten Most Frequent Queries Asked.

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

This really is quite possibly the most common query asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

If there are multiple properties with similar types of constructions, then discounts may apply. For individual dwellings you would be looking in the range of £120 – £300 depending on the intricacy of your design and the dimensions. By providing the plans, it will be possible to get yourself a fixed quotation.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will require depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to display the energy efficiency of a dwelling. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an easy to understand document, which can also be used to market or rent out a property.

There are really 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans where all the components of the construction are known. This will normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that a property meets certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether the many components going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd form of EPC is the regular one that will be needed if you are marketing, or renting a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specific thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This sort of EPC will be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, after that call us for further advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations generated when the building has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the construction starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed dwelling, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not something you could do yourself. The calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government computer software. The Assessor has to be approved under one of several accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their certification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new property need Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now modern to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But under the current building regulations the quantity of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other places of the property will have to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the proposed extension is not any worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are modifying the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. If you’re not sure whether you require them, then simply give us a call.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Kidderminster . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice