0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Kingswinford

We undertake most sizes of residential projects wanting SAP calculations. All this at the best prices. Contact us for a quotation on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control, or maybe your architect asked you to get sap calculations. Why will you need them and what exactly are sap calculations anyway? Then keep reading.

You can click on the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Kingswinford SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Kingswinford SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Kingswinford SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the UK government’s means of determining the energy performance of properties. The calculations are required to illustrate that your building complies with certain energy targets laid down in the building regs.

That’s basically it in a simple summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new homes
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, e.g altering a commercial building to domestic flats.
3. For extensions that have over the permitted amount of glazing

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

A good set of building drawings must be given to the Assessor, as all the calculations are done from the building drawings ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced after the calculations are done.

If your sap calculations show that your property isn’t compliant, then Assessor will give you guidance on improvements that may be made to make it so. It could be costly if you realise at a late stage in the construction that your building is not compliant. So it is best to liaise with your Assessor as early on in the project as possible.

Should you require guidance on a project you may have in , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Questions On Kingswinford Sap Calculations, see if we have an answer here.

So, What Are Sap Calculations?

This really is quite possibly the most frequent query asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

What Is The Cost Of Sap Calculations

We will be pleased to offer you discount rates, especially for properties that are the exact same or very similar construction. For single dwellings then you would be looking in the range of £120 – £300 depending on the difficulty of the construction and the measurements. By supplying the plans, you will be able to get a fixed quotation.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to show the energy performance of a dwelling. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an simple to grasp document, which can also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are actually 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans where all the components of the building are known. This would normally be required by building control to show that a dwelling complies with certain targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether the many components going into the property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd type of EPC is the common one that will be necessary for anyone who is selling, or renting a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specified thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used according to the age of the property. This particular EPC would be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, however what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, after that phone us for additional advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations produced after the dwelling has been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned construction, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not something that can be done yourself. Sap calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software. The Assessor needs to be approved under one of several certification schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their accreditation.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite modern to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the existing building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other places within the property will need to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions from the current house and the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are modifying the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. Phone us, if you are unsure if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years experience carrying Sap calculation in Kingswinford . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice