0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Leicester

Fast and simple Sap calculations from local certified Assessors. Contact us for a quotation on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations

For anyone who is reading this, you’ve more than likely been requested by another person, normally your building control official, to provide sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Leicester SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Leicester SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Leicester SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s method of calculating the energy efficiency of buildings. These calculations are needed to illustrate that a building conforms with certain energy targets laid down in the building regs.

In a simple overview, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built dwellings
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, for example altering a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing

The sap calculations have to show that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) conform to specified targets.

The calculations are carried out by a professional and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property as all the calculations are carried out from the building drawings . When the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

Your Assessor can provide you with additional advice if the calculations show your dwelling isn’t compliant, as well as explain to you which is the best changes to make. It might be expensive if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building isn’t compliant. So it is best to liaise with your Assessor as early on during the project as possible.

If you require advice on a project you could have in or around , or require a quote, give us a call or fill in our get a quotation form.


SAP Calculations in Leicester The 10 Most Common Questions Asked.

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations

This is by far the most frequent question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Do They Cost

The typical price range is between £100 – £300, this is depending upon the complexity and size of your property. For those who also require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at the end of it there may be a further charge of around £50 to register an EPC on the epc register. For a number of dwellings of comparable designs, then discounts could be available.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a building. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement from the SAP calculations in an straightforward document, which could also be used to sell or rent out a property.

There are really 2 kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans when all the components of the building are known. This would normally be required by building control to show that the dwelling meets certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether all the elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd form of EPC is the standard one that will be necessary if you are selling, or renting out a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specified thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of your property. This type of EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, however what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then simply call us for additional assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations produced after the dwelling has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it ought to have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned building, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not some thing you could do by yourself. The calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software programs. The Assessor must be certified under one of several accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their accreditation.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However with the existing building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts of the property will need to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the planned extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is changing the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. Give us a call, if you are not certain if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Leicester . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 to ensure you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice