0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Liverpool

We undertake most sizes of residential projects requiring SAP computations. All at the best prices. Get in touch to get a quotation on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, Exactly What Are They?

For anyone who is reading this, you’ve probably been asked by somebody, normally your building control official, to supply sap calculations for your building project.

You can click the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Liverpool SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Liverpool SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Liverpool SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s means of calculating the energy efficiency of properties. Sap calculations are necessary to prove that a building conforms with specified energy targets set down within the building regs.

As a quick summary, that’s pretty much it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For all newly built dwellings
2. For a dwelling change of use, for example converting a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have more than 25% glazing

The 2 main areas that the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the property are within set tolerances and that certain elements of the property, such as the walls, windows, floors and roof comply with specified thermal targets.

Sap computations are carried out by a qualified and accredited On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property as all the computations are carried out from the building plans ,so a good set of plans are essential. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced after the computations are finished.

Your Assessor can give you additional advice if the calculations show your dwelling isn’t compliant, as well as explain to you which is the best changes to make. It might be expensive if you realise at a late stage in the construction that your building isn’t compliant. So it’s advisable to liaise with the Assessor as early on during the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you require guidance on a project you may have in or around , or simply require a quote, call us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Questions About Liverpool Sap Calculations, see whether we have the answer here.

Sap Calculations, Exactly What Are They?

This really is by far the most frequent query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

This may vary considerably depending upon the size and complication of the property, however a typical cost range will be between £120 – £300. There will probably be an additional fee of around £50 if an EPC is required at the end of the construction. Discounts would typically be available for multiple properties especially if they are of the same form of structure.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a building. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report derived from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is shown on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions which would improve the rating of the property.

There are really 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans where all the elements of the building are known. This would normally be needed by building control to show that the dwelling meets specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all the elements going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second form of EPC is the regular one that would be necessary if you are selling, or renting a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specific thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of the property. This particular EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then simply give us a call for further information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations generated once the building has been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the building starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned construction, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not something that can be done by yourself. Sap calculations have to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of several accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to maintain their accreditation.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling require Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However with the existing building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other places of the property will have to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the planned extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is changing the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. If you’re not sure whether you will need them, then contact us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years experience carrying Sap calculation in Liverpool . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice