0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Luton

We will take the pain out of making sure your house is definitely compliant with the building regs.
All this at an affordable price. Call us today to get a quote on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

Have building control or perhaps your architect requested you to get sap calculations in Luton. Why do you need them and what exactly are sap calculations anyhow? Then read on.

You can either click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Luton SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Luton SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Luton SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the united kingdom government’s method of determining the energy performance of buildings. These calculations are necessary to demonstrate your building complies with specified energy targets laid down within the building regs.

As a short overview, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

The 3 main reasons Sap calculations are needed

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling change of use,e.g converting a commercial building to domestic flats.
3. For overglazed extensions

The two main areas which the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your dwelling are within set tolerances and that certain components of the property, such as the walls, floors, roof and windows comply with certain thermal energy targets.

A good set of building plans must be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building plans ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced once the calculations are finished.

Your Assessor can give you further advice in the event the calculation show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as let you know which would be the most effective changes to make. It could be costly if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it’s advisable to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

Should you need advice on a project you could have in , or require a quote, contact us or fill in our get a quote form.


Queries About Luton Sap Calculations, see if we have an answer here.

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

This really is quite possibly the most frequent query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

This can can vary considerably depending upon the measurements and complication of the dwelling, but a typical budget will be between £120 – £300. If you also need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at the end of it there could be an additional charge of around £50 to lodge an EPC on the epc register. Discounts would typically be available for multiple properties especially when they are of the identical form of building.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to show the energy efficiency of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report created from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is shown on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations that would enhance the rating of the dwelling.

There are actually 2 types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans when all of the components of the construction are known. This will normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that the property satisfies specified targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether the many elements going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The 2nd form of EPC is the typical one that would be necessary for anyone who is selling, or renting out a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specified thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used according to the age of your property. This type of EPC will be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, then simply call us to get more advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations created after the dwelling has been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned construction, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing that you can do yourself. Sap calculations must be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software programs. The Assessor must be certified under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their certification.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property require Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But under the existing building regulations the amount of glazing must be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other places of the property will need to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the planned extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are altering the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. If you’re uncertain whether you require them, then phone us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Luton . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 to ensure you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice