0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Mile End

We undertake most sizes of residential assignments wanting SAP calculations. All at reasonable prices. Contact us for a quote on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

For anyone who is reading this, you’ve more than likely recently been requested by another person, usually your building control official, to supply sap calculations for your building project.

You can click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Mile End SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Mile End SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Mile End SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the united kingdom government’s method of calculating the energy performance of dwellings. Sap calculations are required to show your building conforms with specific energy targets set down in the building regulations.

As a brief overview, that’s more or less it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built properties
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, e.g converting a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The 2 main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from the property are within set tolerances and that certain components of the property, for example the floors, walls , windows and roof comply with specified thermal energy targets.

The calculations will be done by a qualified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessoror OCDEA for short. There is not any need to visit the property because all of the calculations are carried out from the building plans . When the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

Your Assessor can provide you with additional guidance in the event the calculations show your dwelling isn’t compliant, as well as inform you which will be the most effective changes to make. It could be expensive if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building isn’t compliant. So it’s wise to liaise with the Assessor as early on during the project as possible.

Should you need guidance on a project you could have in or around , or require a quote, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form.


Questions About Mile End Sap Calculations, see if we have an answer here.

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

This is quite possibly the most frequent question asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

The average cost range will be between £100 – £300, that is depending on the complexity and size of your property. There may be a further cost of about £50 if an EPC is required at the end of the build. Discounts would typically be available for multiple dwellings especially if they are of the identical form of construction.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will require depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to show the energy performance of a building. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report derived from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is shown on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations that would improve the rating of your property.

There are really 2 kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans where all of the components of the building are known. This would normally be needed by building control to show that a property meets specific targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether all the components going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The second form of EPC is the regular one that would be necessary if you are marketing, or renting out a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specific thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This kind of EPC will be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, after that phone us for additional assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations produced after the dwelling has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned dwelling, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not some thing you can do by yourself. The calculations must be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government computer software. The Assessor must be certified under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their qualification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property need Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But under the latest building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other places within the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are changing the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. Call us, if you are uncertain if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Mile End . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 so that you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice