0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Milton Keynes

Need Sap calculations for either Part L1A, or Part L1B, we’re here to assist. E mail us for a quotation for your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, What Are They

Have building control, or perhaps your architect requested that you get sap calculations. Why do you need them and precisely what are sap calculations anyway? Then read on.

You can click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Milton Keynes SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Milton Keynes SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Milton Keynes SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the united kingdom government’s procedure for calculating the energy efficiency of buildings. These calculations are required to show that a building complies with specified energy targets laid down within the building regs.

That’s more or less it in a quick summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built dwellings
2. For a dwelling change of use, such as altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For overglazed extensions

The two main areas which the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the dwelling are within set tolerances and that certain components of the property, such as the floors, windows , roof and walls comply with specified thermal energy targets.

A good set of construction plans will need to be given to the Assessor, because all the calculations are done from the building plans . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced after the calculations are completed.

If your sap calculations reveal that your property isn’t compliant, then Assessor will give you suggestions about upgrades which can be made to make it so. It could be costly if you realise at a late stage in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it’s advisable to liaise with your Assessor as early on in the project as possible.

Should you need guidance on a project you could have in , or require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Want an answer to a query you have about SAP calculations in Milton Keynes? Here are the 10 most popular questions.

Sap Calculations, What Are They

This is probably the most common query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

If there are various properties with similar forms of constructions, then special discounts may apply. For single dwellings you would then be looking in the range of £120 – £300 depending on the complexity of your building and also the size. By supplying the plans, you will be able to get a fixed quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, this is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to show the energy efficiency of a building. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report created from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is expressed on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations that would increase the rating of your dwelling.

There are actually two kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all of the components of the construction are known. This would normally be required by building control to show that a dwelling complies with specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether the many components going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The 2nd variety of EPC is the common one that will be needed for anyone who is selling, or renting out a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specified thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used according to the age of the property. This kind of EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still confused, then call us for additional information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations created when the building has been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed building, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not some thing you could do by yourself. Sap calculations have to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government computer software. The Assessor has to be approved under one of several accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to keep their qualification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite fashionable to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the present building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations in the thermal elements in other areas of the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house along with the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is altering the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. Contact us, if you are uncertain if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Milton Keynes . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice