0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Northampton

Do you need SAP calculations on your job?We’ll work with you to be sure your dwelling is is compliant with the building regulations.. Contact us to get a quotation for Sap calculations in Northampton.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, What Are They

Have building control or even your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Northampton. Why do you need them and what exactly are sap calculations anyhow? Then continue reading.

You can either click the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Northampton SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Northampton SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Northampton SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the united kingdom government’s procedure for determining the energy performance of properties. These calculations are necessary to illustrate your building complies with specific energy targets set down within the building regs.

In a quick overview, that’s more or less it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all new dwellings
3. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, for example altering a commercial building to domestic flats.

The two main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your dwelling are within set tolerances and that certain elements of the property, for example the floors, walls , windows and roof comply with specified thermal energy targets.

Sap calculations will be carried out by a qualified and certified On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is not any need to visit the property because all of the calculations are carried out from the building drawings ,so a good set of plans are very important. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced once the calculations are done.

If your sap calculations show that your property isn’t compliant, your Assessor will give you information on upgrades which can be made to make it so. It may be expensive if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building isn’t compliant. So it’s wise to liaise with your Assessor as early on during the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you require advice on a project you may have in or around , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Sap Calculations Questions, See If We Have The Answer Listed here.

Sap Calculations, What Are They

This is quite possibly the most common query asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

This could can vary considerably depending upon the size and complication of the dwelling, however a typical cost range would be between £120 – £300. For those who also require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at the end of it there may be a further charge of around £50 to register the EPC on the register. Special discounts would typically be available for a number of dwellings especially if they are of the identical style of building.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to show the energy performance of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report created from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is expressed on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions which would enhance the rating of your dwelling.

There are really 2 kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans when all of the elements of the building are known. This will normally be required by building control to show that a dwelling meets specific targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether all of the elements going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The second sort of EPC is the standard one that would be required when you are selling, or renting a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where certain thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This type of EPC would be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, however what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still confused, then call us for additional advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations created after the dwelling has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned building, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not something that can be done yourself. Sap calculations have to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software programs. The Assessor needs to be approved under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their qualification.

What Info is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now fashionable to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the latest building regulations the amount of glazing must be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas within the property will need to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the planned extension is not any worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are altering the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. Give us a call, if you are not certain if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Northampton . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice