0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Preston

Sap computations for new build, dwelling change of use, or overglazed extensions that have more than 25% glazing. All at a reasonable cost. Get in touch to get a quote for your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

Have building control or perhaps your architect requested you to get sap calculations in Preston. Why do you need them and just what are sap calculations anyway? Then continue reading.

You can either click the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Preston SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Preston SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Preston SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s method of calculating the energy efficiency of dwellings. These calculations are necessary to prove your building conforms with specific energy targets set down within the building regs.

In a quick overview, that’s basically it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for 3 reasons

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use,e.g altering a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing

The sap calculations must show that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) conform to certain targets.

Sap computations are carried out by a professional and accredited On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property as all of the computations are carried out from the building plans ,so a good set of plans are very important. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced once the computations are completed.

If the sap calculations reveal that your property is not compliant, the Assessor will give you guidance on upgrades which can be made to make it so. It may be expensive if you find out at a late phase in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it’s advisable to liaise with the Assessor as early on during the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you need guidance on a project you could have in or around , or require a quotation, contact us or fill in our get a quotation form.


SAP Calculations in Preston The 10 Most Frequent Queries Asked.

So, Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

This is certainly by far the most frequent question asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

What Is The Cost Of Sap Calculations

The typical budget range is between £100 – £300, that is depending upon the complexity and size of your property. There will probably be a further fee of about £50 if an EPC is needed at the end of the build. Special discounts would typically be available for multiple dwellings especially if they are of the same style of building.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to display the energy performance of a property. EPC means Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement from the SAP calculations in an simple to comprehend report, which can also be used to market or rent out a property.

There are actually 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans when all of the components of the construction are known. This will normally be required by building control to demonstrate that a property complies with specific targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether the many components going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd variety of EPC is the typical one that will be required if you are selling, or renting out a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specified thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used according to the age of your property. This particular EPC would be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still confused, then simply give us a call for further information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations generated after the dwelling has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed dwelling, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not something that can be done by yourself. Sap calculations must be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government computer software. The Assessor needs to be approved under one of the certification schemes and is regularly audited to keep their accreditation.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new property need to have Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite popular to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the existing building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other parts within the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the proposed extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is modifying the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. Call us, if you are not certain if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Preston . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 so that you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice