0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Rochdale

If you are searching for Sap calculations in North West or Rochdale, then you have come to the right place. Call us today for a price on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, Just What Are They?

Have building control or maybe your architect requested you to get sap calculations in Rochdale. Why do you need them and exactly what are sap calculations anyhow? Then read on.

You can either click the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Rochdale SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Rochdale SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Rochdale SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the united kingdom government’s means of determining the energy performance of properties. Sap calculations are necessary to illustrate that your building conforms with specified energy targets laid down within the building regulations.

As a short summary, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built homes
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, for example altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have over 20% glazing

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

A good set of building plans must be given to the Assessor, as all the calculations are done from the building plans . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. Once the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

Your Assessor can provide you with additional advice in the event the calculations show your building isn’t compliant, as well as let you know which will be the most effective improvements to make. It is important to liaise with the Assessor as early on in your project as possible because once the building is completed any non-compliances might be quite costly to rectify.

Should you need guidance on a project you may have in , or simply require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


SAP Calculations in Rochdale The Ten Most Usual Questions Asked.

Sap Calculations, Just What Are They?

This is certainly by far the most common query asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

What Is The Cost Of Sap Calculations

This may vary considerably dependant upon the size and complication of the property, but a standard budget will be between £120 – £300. There will probably be an additional fee of around £50 if an Energy Performance Certificate is required at the end of the build. For multiple properties of comparable types, then discount rates could be available.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a property. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report from the SAP calculations in an simple to comprehend document, that could also be used to market or rent out a property.

There are really 2 kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans where all the elements of the building are known. This will normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that the property meets specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which shows in detail whether all the elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd form of EPC is the common one that will be required for anybody who is selling, or renting out a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where particular thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used according to the age of your property. This sort of EPC will be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still confused, after that call us for further information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations generated after the building has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed construction, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not some thing that can be done yourself. Sap calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software programs. The Assessor needs to be approved under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep their qualification.

What Info is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new property require Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the latest building regulations the amount of glazing must be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts of the property will have to be made to show the CO2 emissions from the existing house and the proposed extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are changing the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. Call us, if you are not sure if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Rochdale . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 to ensure you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice