0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Sale

A team of highly trained Surveyors providing sap calculations in your area. E mail us for your quotation on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, Just What Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control, or even your architect asked you to get sap computations. Why do you need them and what are sap calculations anyhow? Then keep reading.

You can click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Sale SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Sale SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Sale SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the united kingdom government’s procedure for calculating the energy performance of properties. Sap calculations are required to illustrate that a building conforms with specified energy targets set down within the building regs.

In a quick summary, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built homes
2. For a dwelling change of use, such as altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The 2 main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from the dwelling are within set tolerances and that certain components of the property, such as the roof, floors, walls and windows comply with specified thermal energy targets.

A good set of building plans must be provided to the Assessor, because all the calculations are done from the building plans ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced after the computations are done.

If the sap calculations show that your property is not compliant, your Assessor will give you information on upgrades which can be made to make it so. It could be costly if you realise at a late stage in the construction that your building isn’t compliant. So it is best to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you require advice on a project you could have in , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


Need an answer to a question you might have about SAP calculations in Sale? Listed here are the ten most common questions.

So, Just What Are Sap Calculations?

This really is quite possibly the most common query asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

If there are several properties with similar forms of constructions, then special discounts may apply. But typically for a single dwelling the charge will be in the region of £120 – £300. By providing the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed price quotation.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a dwelling. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report produced by the Sap calculations that produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is expressed on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions which would improve the rating of the dwelling.

There are really two types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans where all the components of the construction are known. This will normally be needed by building control to show that a dwelling meets specified targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether the many components going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd sort of EPC is the typical one that would be needed when you are marketing, or renting out a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specific thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of your property. This kind of EPC will be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, after that call us to get more information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations created when the building has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed building, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not some thing that you can do by yourself. Sap calculations need to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government computer software. The Assessor has to be approved under one of several accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep their certification.

What Info is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling require Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now modern to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But with the existing building regulations the amount of glazing can be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other places of the property will have to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the current house along with the proposed extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are modifying the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. If you’re uncertain whether you require them, then phone us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Sale . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice