0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Sandwell

Are you needing SAP calculations on your job?We will work together with you to ensure your property is compliant. Contact us to obtain a quotation for Sap calculations in Sandwell.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, Just What Are Sap Calculations

For anyone who is reading this, you have more than likely recently been requested by someone, usually your building control officer, to supply sap calculations for your building project.

You can click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Sandwell SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Sandwell SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Sandwell SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the UK government’s means of determining the energy efficiency of dwellings. Sap calculations are needed to show that your building conforms with specified energy targets laid down in the building regs.

In a short overview, that’s more or less it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

The three main reasons Sap calculations are required

1. For all newly built dwellings
2. For a dwelling change of use,such as altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have over 20% glazing

The 2 main areas that the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the property are within set tolerances and that particular elements of the property, for example the windows, floors, roof and walls comply with certain thermal energy targets.

The calculations will be done by a certified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property because all of the calculations are carried out from the building plans . When the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

Your Assessor can give you further advice in the event the calculation show your dwelling isn’t compliant, as well as advise you which will be the most effective changes to make. It is crucial that you liaise with your Assessor as early on in your project as possible because when the building is finished any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

Should you need guidance on a project you could have in , or simply require a quote, contact us or fill in our get a quotation form.


Rather than trawl through a entire website to obtain the explanations you’re searching for, we have provided explanations to the ten most usual questions asked about SAP in Sandwell.

So, Just What Are Sap Calculations

This is certainly quite possibly the most frequent query asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

The typical cost range will be between £100 – £300, this is depending upon the difficulty and proportions of your property. If you also need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at the end of it there may be an extra charge of around £50 to register an EPC on the epc register. Discounts would typically be available for multiple dwellings especially when they are of the identical form of design.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to demonstrate the energy performance of a building. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report derived from the Sap calculations that produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is shown on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations which would improve the rating of your property.

There are really two kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans where all of the elements of the building are known. This will normally be required by building control to show that a property meets specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether all the components going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The second type of EPC is the standard one that will be necessary for anybody who is selling, or renting out a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specific thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This type of EPC will be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, however what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, then simply phone us for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations created when the building has been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the construction starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned construction, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing you could do by yourself. The calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software programs. The Assessor has to be approved under one of several accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their certification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property require Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the current building regulations the amount of glazing can be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other places within the property will need to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions from the current house along with the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are changing the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. If you’re not sure whether you will need them, then simply phone us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years experience carrying Sap calculation in Sandwell . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 to ensure you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice