0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Solihull

We will take the head ache out of ensuring that your house will be compliant with the building regulations.
All at an affordable price. Call us today to obtain a quote on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, What Are They

Have building control, or maybe your architect requested that you get sap computations. But why will you need them and precisely what are sap calculations anyhow? Then read on.

You can click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Solihull SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Solihull SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Solihull SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s means of calculating the energy efficiency of dwellings. Sap calculations are needed to prove that a building complies with certain energy targets laid down within the building regs.

That’s more or less it in a quick overview.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built homes
2. For a dwelling change of use, e.g altering a commercial building to domestic flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The two main areas which the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your dwelling are within set tolerances and that certain elements of the property, for example the roof, floors, windows and walls comply with specified thermal energy targets.

A good set of building drawings must be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building drawings . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. When the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

Your Assessor can provide further guidance if the calculations show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as inform you which will be the most effective improvements to make. It could be expensive if you realise at a late stage in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it’s advisable to liaise with your Assessor as early on in the project as possible.

If you require guidance on a project you could have in , or simply require a quote, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


Questions About Solihull Sap Calculations, see if we have the answer here.

Sap Calculations, What Are They

This really is quite possibly the most common query asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

If there are multiple properties with similar types of constructions, then special discounts may apply. For individual properties then you would be looking in the range of £120 – £300 depending on the difficulty of your design and also the size. By providing the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed price quote.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will require depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to display the energy efficiency of a dwelling. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement of the SAP calculations in an straightforward report, which can also be used to sell or rent out a property.

There are actually 2 types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all of the elements of the construction are known. This would normally be required by building control to show that a dwelling complies with certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which shows in detail whether all the elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The second sort of EPC is the common one that will be necessary if you are marketing, or renting out a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where certain thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of your property. This sort of EPC will be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then call us to get more information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations produced after the dwelling has been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the construction starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned building, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not some thing that can be done by yourself. Sap calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software programs. The Assessor has to be certified under one of several accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their qualification.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite popular to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But with the existing building regulations the quantity of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other places within the property will need to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house and the planned extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are modifying the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. Give us a call, if you are not certain if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Solihull . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any project nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice