0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations St Albans

Prompt, reliable and most importantly inexpensive Sap calculations for local residents and companies. E mail us for a estimate on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Are Sap Calculations

If you are reading this, you have more than likely recently been asked by another person, typically your building control representative, to supply sap calculations for your building project.

You can either click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



St Albans SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

St Albans SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

St Albans SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the UK government’s procedure for determining the energy performance of dwellings. Sap calculations are required to illustrate that a building complies with specific energy targets set down within the building regs.

That’s pretty much it in a brief summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built homes
2. For a dwelling change of use, e.g converting a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For overglazed extensions

The two main areas that the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the dwelling are within set tolerances and that particular elements of the property, for example the roof, floors, windows and walls comply with specified thermal targets.

Sap calculations are done by a professional and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is not any need to visit the property because all the calculations are carried out from the building plans . An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced once the calculations are completed.

Your Assessor can give you additional guidance in the event the calculations show that your dwelling isn’t compliant, as well as advise you which is the best improvements to make. It might be costly if you find out at a late stage in the construction that your building isn’t compliant. So it is best to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

Should you require advice on a project you may have in , or require a quote, give us a call or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


SAP Calculations in St Albans The Ten Most Typical Queries Asked.

So, What Are Sap Calculations

This is certainly probably the most frequent question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

The average price range will be between £100 – £300, this is depending on the difficulty and size of your property. There will probably be an extra fee of approximately £50 if an Energy Performance Certificate is required at the end of the build. Discounts would typically be available for multiple dwellings especially when they are of the same form of structure.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, this is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to display the energy efficiency of a building. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report produced by the Sap calculations that produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is shown on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations that would increase the rating of your dwelling.

There are actually two types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans when all the elements of the construction are known. This would normally be needed by building control to show that the property satisfies specific targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether the many elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The second form of EPC is the typical one that will be necessary for anybody who is selling, or renting out a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specific thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of your property. This type of EPC will be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still confused, then simply give us a call for further information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations produced once the building has actually been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned construction, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not something you could do by yourself. Sap calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government program. The Assessor has to be approved under one of several accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to keep their accreditation.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new property need Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now popular to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the latest building regulations the quantity of glazing must be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other places within the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions from the existing house and the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are modifying the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. Contact us, if you are not certain if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in St Albans . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice