0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Stourbridge

Need Sap calculations for either Part L1A, or Part L1B, we’re here to help you. Contact us for a quotation on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Are Sap Calculations?

For anyone who is reading this article, you’ve more than likely been requested by another person, typically your building control representative, to provide sap calculations for your building project.

You can either click on the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Stourbridge SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Stourbridge SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Stourbridge SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the united kingdom government’s procedure for calculating the energy performance of buildings. These calculations are required to show that your building complies with specified energy targets set down in the building regulations.

That’s more or less it in a brief overview.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built properties
2. For a dwelling change of use, such as converting a commercial building to domestic flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

Sap calculations are carried out by a professional and certified On Construction Domestic Energy Assessoror OCDEA for short. There is no need to visit the property because all the calculations are carried out from the building plans . Once the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

If the sap calculations show that your property isn’t compliant, then your Assessor will give you advice on upgrades that can be made to make it so. It’s essential to liaise with the Assessor as early on in your project as possible because when the building is completed any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

Should you require guidance on a project you could have in or around , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


SAP Calculations in Stourbridge The Ten Most Common Questions Asked.

What Are Sap Calculations?

This is quite possibly the most frequent query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

We will be pleased to provide discounts, for example for multiple dwellings which are of the same or similar design. But typically for a single dwelling the charge would be in the area of £120 – £300. By supplying the plans, it will be possible to get yourself a fixed price quotation.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy performance of a property. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement of the SAP calculations in an simple to grasp document, which could also be used to sell or rent out a property.

There are really two kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans where all the components of the building are known. This would normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that the dwelling satisfies specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which shows in detail whether the many elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd sort of EPC is the typical one that would be necessary for anyone who is selling, or renting out a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where certain thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This particular EPC would be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, after that call us to get more information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations created after the building has actually been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it ought to have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned dwelling, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not something that you can do yourself. Sap calculations have to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of several certification schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their certification.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now fashionable to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But under the current building regulations the amount of glazing can be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas within the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the planned extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is altering the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. Phone us, if you are not sure if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Stourbridge . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice