0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Sutton Coldfield

Do you require SAP calculations for your job?We’ll work together with you to be sure your dwelling is compliant. Get in touch to obtain a quote for Sap calculations in Sutton Coldfield.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Are Sap Calculations

Have building control, or even your architect requested that you get sap calculations. Why do you need them and what are sap calculations anyway? Then keep reading.

You can click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Sutton Coldfield SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Sutton Coldfield SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Sutton Coldfield SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the UK government’s method of calculating the energy performance of dwellings. These calculations are required to illustrate that a building conforms with certain energy targets set down within the building regulations.

In a short summary, that’s basically it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new properties
2. For a dwelling change of use,such as altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For overglazed extensions

The sap calculations have to show that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) conform to certain targets.

A good set of construction drawings must be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building drawings ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced once the calculations are completed.

Your Assessor can give you further guidance if the calculation show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as let you know which is the best changes to make. It may be costly if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it is advisable to liaise with your Assessor as early on in the project as possible.

If you require advice on a project you may have in or around , or require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form.


Here we have provided the most frequent queries asked about SAP Calculations in Sutton Coldfield.

What Are Sap Calculations

This really is quite possibly the most common question asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Do They Cost

This will vary considerably depending upon the size and complication of the property, however a standard budget will be between £120 – £300. For those who also need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at the end of it there may be a further charge of about £50 to lodge an EPC on the epc register. For several properties of comparable designs, then discount rates could be offered.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to display the energy performance of a building. EPC means Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement from the SAP calculations in an easy to understand document, which can also be used to market or rent a property.

There are actually two types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all the elements of the building are known. This would normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that a dwelling satisfies certain targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether all of the components going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd sort of EPC is the standard one that would be necessary if you are selling, or renting a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where particular thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of your property. This kind of EPC will be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, after that give us a call for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations produced after the building has been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it ought to have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed dwelling, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not some thing you can do yourself. Sap calculations must be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government computer software. The Assessor needs to be approved under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep their accreditation.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling require Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now popular to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However with the latest building regulations the quantity of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other places of the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is modifying the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. Phone us, if you are uncertain if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with several years experience carrying Sap calculation in Sutton Coldfield . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 so that you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice