0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Tower Hamlets

Low price skilled Sap Assessors. We will provide free guidance on your project. Why not call us today for your estimate on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Are Sap Calculations

Have building control or even your architect requested you to get sap calculations in Tower Hamlets. But why will you need them and exactly what are sap calculations anyway? Then read on.

You can click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Tower Hamlets SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Tower Hamlets SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Tower Hamlets SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the UK government’s way of calculating the energy performance of buildings. Sap calculations are necessary to demonstrate that your building conforms with specific energy targets set down within the building regs.

As a quick summary, that’s pretty much it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built dwellings
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, such as altering a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have over the permitted amount of glazing

The 2 main areas that the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from your property are within set tolerances and that particular elements of the property, for example the walls, windows, roof and floors comply with certain thermal targets.

A good set of construction drawings will need to be given to the Assessor, because all the calculations are done from the building drawings . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced after the computations are done.

Your Assessor can give you additional guidance in the event the calculations show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as inform you which would be the best changes to make. It may be costly if you realise at a late phase in the construction that your building isn’t compliant. So it’s advisable to liaise with the Assessor as early on during the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you need guidance on a project you may have in or around , or simply require a quote, call us or fill in our get a quotation form.


SAP Calculations in Tower Hamlets The 10 Most Usual Queries Asked.

So, What Are Sap Calculations

This is probably the most frequent query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

What Is The Cost Of Sap Calculations

We will be pleased to provide discount rates, for example for multiple dwellings which are of the same or very similar construction. But typically for a single dwelling the charge will be in the area of £120 – £300. By supplying the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed price quote.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to show the energy efficiency of a dwelling. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an simple to comprehend report, that can also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are actually two types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans where all of the elements of the construction are known. This would normally be needed by building control to show that the dwelling satisfies specific targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether the many elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd sort of EPC is the typical one that would be necessary if you are marketing, or renting out a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where certain thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This particular EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then simply give us a call for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations generated when the building has actually been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed dwelling, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not something you can do yourself. Sap calculations need to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government program. The Assessor needs to be approved under one of several certification schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their accreditation.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite fashionable to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But with the current building regulations the amount of glazing can be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other places of the property will need to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are altering the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. Phone us, if you are uncertain if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Tower Hamlets . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 to ensure you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice