0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Walsall

Low price experienced Sap Assessors. We give totally free advice for your project. Why not call us for a quotation on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, Just What Are They?

Have building control or your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Walsall. Why do you need them and exactly what are sap calculations anyway? Then continue reading.

You can either click the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Walsall SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Walsall SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Walsall SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the UK government’s method of calculating the energy efficiency of buildings. The calculations are required to illustrate that a building conforms with specific energy targets set down within the building regs.

That’s pretty much it in a quick summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all new homes
3. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, such as converting a commercial building to domestic flats.

The sap calculations are necessary to demonstrate that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) conform to specified targets.

A good set of building plans will need to be provided to the Assessor, as all the calculations are done from the building plans ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. When the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

If the sap calculations reveal that your property is not compliant, then your Assessor will give you information on improvements which can be made to make it so. It’s crucial that you liaise with your Assessor as early on in your project as possible because once the building is finished any non-compliances might be quite costly to rectify.

Should you need guidance on a project you could have in , or simply require a quote, contact us or fill in our get a quotation form.


Rather than trawl through a whole website to get the answers you’re trying to find, we’ve supplied answers to the ten most frequent queries asked about SAP in Walsall.

Sap Calculations, Just What Are They?

This is certainly quite possibly the most common query asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

We will be pleased to offer you discount rates, in particular for properties which are the exact same or very similar design. But typically for a single property the cost will be in the region of £120 – £300. By providing the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed quote.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, this is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy performance of a building. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report from the SAP calculations in an straightforward document, which can also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are really 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans when all the elements of the building are known. This will normally be needed by building control to show that a property satisfies specific targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all the elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd variety of EPC is the typical one that will be required for anyone who is marketing, or renting a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where certain thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of your property. This sort of EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, after that call us for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations created when the dwelling has been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it ought to have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed building, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing you can do yourself. Sap calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government software programs. The Assessor must be certified under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their qualification.

What Info is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property need Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However with the present building regulations the quantity of glazing must be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other places of the property will need to be made to show the CO2 emissions from the current house along with the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are changing the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. If you’re uncertain whether you require them, then phone us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Walsall . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice