0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Warrington

Fast, dependable and more importantly affordable Sap computations for local residents and companies. Call us for a quotation on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations

Have building control or even your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Warrington. Why do you need them and just what are sap calculations anyway? Then continue reading.

You can either click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Warrington SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Warrington SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Warrington SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s procedure for determining the energy performance of dwellings. Sap calculations are required to demonstrate your building conforms with specified energy targets set down in the building regs.

That’s more or less it in a quick summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built homes
2. For a dwelling change of use, such as altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The two main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from the dwelling are within set tolerances and that particular components of the property, for example the walls, roof, floors, and windows comply with specified thermal targets.

The computations will be carried out by a certified and certified On Construction Domestic Energy Assessoror OCDEA for short. There is no need to visit the property because all of the computations are carried out from the building drawings ,so a good set of plans are essential. When the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

If the sap calculations reveal that your property isn’t compliant, your Assessor will give you suggestions about upgrades which can be made to make it so. It can be costly if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it is wise to liaise with the Assessor as early on during the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you require guidance on a project you could have in , or require a quote, give us a call or fill in our get a quotation form.


SAP Calculations in Warrington The 10 Most Typical Queries Asked.

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations

This really is by far the most common query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

We will be pleased to provide discounts, especially for properties which are of the same or similar design. For individual dwellings then you would be looking in the range of £120 – £300 depending on the intricacy of the construction and also the dimensions. By supplying the plans, you will be able to get a fixed quote.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy efficiency of a property. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement of the SAP calculations in an easy to understand document, which could also be used to market or rent a property.

There are really two types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all of the components of the building are known. This will normally be required by building control to show that a property meets specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all the elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd sort of EPC is the typical one that would be needed for anyone who is selling, or renting out a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where certain thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of your property. This particular EPC will be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, then phone us for additional assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations produced when the building has actually been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the construction starting, it ought to have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned construction, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing that can be done yourself. The calculations need to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their qualification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new property need to have Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now popular to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But under the latest building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas within the property will have to be made to show the CO2 emissions from the current house and the planned extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is changing the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. Give us a call, if you are not certain if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Warrington . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 to ensure you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice