Sap Calculations Basildon

We do most sizes of non commercial projects needing SAP computations. All this at affordable prices. Call us for a quote on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations

Have building control or your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Basildon. Why do you need them and exactly what are sap calculations anyway? Then continue reading.

You can either click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Basildon SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Basildon SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Basildon SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s means of determining the energy performance of buildings. The calculations are needed to demonstrate that your building complies with certain energy targets set down in the building regs.

That’s pretty much it in a quick summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

A few of the reasons you will be asked for sap computations
1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all newly built properties
3. For a dwelling change of use, for example a barn conversion

The sap calculations have to establish that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

Sap computations will be done by a professional and certified On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property because all of the computations are carried out from the building drawings . An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced after the computations are finished.

If your sap calculations show that your property isn’t compliant, then your Assessor will give you guidance on improvements which can be made to make it so. It’s important to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible because when the building is completed any non-compliances could be quite costly to rectify.

Should you need advice on a project you may have in or around Basildon , or require a quotation, contact us or fill in our get a quote form.


Want an answer to a question you might have about SAP calculations in Basildon? Listed below are the 10 most frequent questions.

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations

This really is quite possibly the most common query asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

This will vary considerably depending upon the measurements and complexity of the dwelling, however a standard budget will be between £120 – £300. There will probably be another fee of approximately £50 if an EPC is needed at the end of the build. For a number of properties of similar designs, then discount rates might be offered.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, this is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to display the energy efficiency of a dwelling. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report created from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is expressed on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions which would increase the rating of your dwelling.

There are really 2 kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans where all of the elements of the building are known. This will normally be needed by building control to show that a property meets certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether all the elements going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The 2nd variety of EPC is the standard one that would be necessary for anybody who is selling, or renting a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specific thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used according to the age of your property. This sort of EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, however what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, after that contact us to get more assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations generated after the building has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the building starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed building, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not something you can do yourself. Sap calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government computer software. The Assessor must be approved under one of several certification schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their certification.

What Info is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property need to have Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now fashionable to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But under the latest building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other places within the property will have to be made to show the CO2 emissions from the existing house and the proposed extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is changing the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. If you’re unsure whether you require them, then phone us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with several years experience carrying Sap calculation in Basildon . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 to ensure you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice