Local Sap Calculations Bethnal Green

If you are searching for Sap calculations in London or Bethnal Green, then you certainly have come to the right place. E mail us for a quote for your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

For anyone who is reading this, you’ve more than likely been recently requested by someone, usually your building control officer, to supply sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Bethnal Green SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Bethnal Green SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Bethnal Green SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s method of determining the energy performance of buildings. These calculations are necessary to show that a building conforms with specified energy targets set down in the building regs.

As a quick summary, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

A few of the reasons you might be asked for sap calculations
1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all newly built properties
3. For a dwelling change of use, for example a barn conversion

The two main areas which the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the property are within set tolerances and that particular components of the property, such as the floors, walls , windows and roof comply with certain thermal targets.

Sap calculations are done by a professional and accredited On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property as all of the calculations are carried out from the building drawings . An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced once the calculations are completed.

Your Assessor can provide further advice if the calculation show your building isn’t compliant, as well as explain to you which is the best changes to make. It is very important to liaise with your Assessor as early on in your project as possible because once the building is finished any non-compliances might be quite costly to rectify.

Should you require advice on a project you may have in Bethnal Green , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Queries About Bethnal Green Sap Calculations, check if we have the answer here.

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

This is certainly quite possibly the most frequent query asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

This can vary considerably depending on the size and complication of the property, but a typical price range would be between £120 – £300. There will probably be an extra cost of around £50 if an Energy Performance Certificate is needed at the end of the build. Discounts would typically be available for multiple properties especially if they are of the same style of construction.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will require depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a property. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an simple to grasp report, that could also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are actually two kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all of the components of the building are known. This will normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that a dwelling meets specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all the elements going into the property conform to the building regulations.

The second type of EPC is the regular one that will be necessary for anybody who is marketing, or renting out a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where particular thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used based on the age of the property. This kind of EPC would be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then simply phone us for further advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations produced once the dwelling has actually been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the building starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed dwelling, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing that you can do yourself. Sap calculations must be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government computer software. The Assessor must be certified under one of the certification schemes and is regularly audited to maintain their qualification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling require Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite popular to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However with the latest building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts of the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house along with the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is altering the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. Give us a call, if you are unsure if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Bethnal Green . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any project nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 which means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice