0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Blackburn

A team of very skilled Surveyors delivering sap calculations in your area. E mail us to get a quotation on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control, or perhaps your architect requested you to get sap calculations. Why do you need them and just what are sap calculations anyhow? Then read on.

You can click the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Blackburn SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Blackburn SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Blackburn SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the united kingdom government’s procedure for calculating the energy performance of properties. The calculations are necessary to demonstrate that your building conforms with specified energy targets laid down in the building regulations.

That’s basically it in a brief summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For all newly built homes
2. For a dwelling change of use, for example altering a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have more than 25% glazing

The sap calculations have to show that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with specific targets.

Sap calculations will be done by a qualified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessoror OCDEA for short. There is not any need to visit the property because all of the calculations are carried out from the building drawings ,so a good set of plans are required. When the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

If the sap calculations reveal that your property is not compliant, your Assessor will give you guidance on improvements that may be made to make it so. It is very important to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible because when the building is completed any non-compliances could be quite costly to rectify.

Should you need guidance on a project you may have in or around , or require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quote form.


Sap Calculations Questions, See If We Have The Answer Listed here.

So, What Are Sap Calculations?

This is probably the most common query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

We will be pleased to offer discount rates, in particular for multiple dwellings which are of the same or similar design. For single dwellings you would then be looking in the range of £120 – £300 dependant upon the difficulty of the design and the dimensions. By providing the plans, it will be possible to get yourself a fixed price quotation.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, this is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to display the energy efficiency of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report created from the Sap calculations that produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is shown on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations that would increase the rating of the dwelling.

There are really 2 kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all of the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that a dwelling satisfies specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether the many components going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second sort of EPC is the standard one that will be necessary if you are selling, or renting a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where particular thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used based on the age of the property. This sort of EPC will be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then simply contact us for further information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations created once the building has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned dwelling, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing that can be done by yourself. Sap calculations need to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software. The Assessor has to be certified under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their certification.

What Info is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling need Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite trendy to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But with the current building regulations the amount of glazing can be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other parts within the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house and the planned extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is modifying the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. If you’re uncertain whether you require them, then give us a call.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Blackburn . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 which means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice