0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Blackpool

Prompt, reputable and most importantly inexpensive Sap computations for local residents and businesses. Call us for a estimate for your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Are Sap Calculations?

If you are reading this, you have probably been asked by somebody, normally your building control representative, to provide sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Blackpool SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Blackpool SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Blackpool SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the united kingdom government’s method of determining the energy efficiency of buildings. Sap calculations are needed to prove that a building complies with certain energy targets laid down within the building regs.

That’s pretty much it in a brief overview.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all new properties
3. For a dwelling change of use, e.g

The 2 main areas which the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the property are within set tolerances and that particular elements of the property, for example the walls, floors, roof and windows comply with certain thermal targets.

The computations will be done by a professional and accredited On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property as all of the computations are carried out from the building drawings . When the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

If the sap calculations show that your property isn’t compliant, then your Assessor will give you information on upgrades that can be made to make it so. It is crucial that you liaise with the Assessor as early on in your project as possible because once the building is finished any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

If you require advice on a project you may have in or around , or require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


Here we have presented the most typical questions asked about SAP Calculations in Blackpool.

So, What Are Sap Calculations?

This is certainly probably the most frequent question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

What Is The Cost Of Sap Calculations

This might can vary considerably depending upon the measurements and complication of the property, however an average cost range will be between £120 – £300. There will probably be another fee of around £50 if an Energy Performance Certificate is called for at the end of the build. For several properties of comparable types, then discount rates could be available.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy performance of a dwelling. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report derived from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is shown on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations which would improve the rating of the property.

There are actually 2 kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans where all of the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be required by building control to show that the dwelling complies with certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether the many components going into the property conform to the building regulations.

The second variety of EPC is the common one that will be needed when you are selling, or renting out a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specified thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used according to the age of the property. This kind of EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still confused, then call us for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations created after the building has been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the building starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned building, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not some thing that you can do by yourself. The calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software. The Assessor must be approved under one of several certification schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their accreditation.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite modern to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However with the latest building regulations the quantity of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other places within the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions from the existing house along with the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is changing the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. Contact us, if you are uncertain if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Blackpool . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice