Quick Sap Calculations Bristol

Fast, dependable and above all inexpensive Sap computations for local residents and companies. Get in touch for a estimate for your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations

Have building control or your architect requested you to get sap calculations in Bristol. But why will you need them and what are sap calculations anyway? Then read on.

You can either click the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Bristol SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Bristol SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Bristol SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s way of determining the energy efficiency of properties. Sap calculations are necessary to demonstrate your building complies with certain energy targets laid down within the building regulations.

That’s pretty much it in a brief overview.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations tend to be required for 3 main reasons
1. For all newly built dwellings
2. For a dwelling change of use, for example altering a single family home to flats.
3. For a planned extension having more than 25 % glazing

The two main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your dwelling are within set tolerances and that particular elements of the property, such as the walls, windows , floors and roof comply with specified thermal energy targets.

The computations will be carried out by a professional and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property because all the computations are carried out from the building drawings ,so a good set of plans are required. Once the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

Your Assessor can give you additional advice if the calculation show your dwelling isn’t compliant, as well as advise you which will be the most effective changes to make. It’s very important to liaise with your Assessor as early on in your project as possible because once the building is finished any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

If you need advice on a project you could have in or around Bristol , or require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


We also cover: Bristol

Questions About Bristol Sap Calculations, check if we have the answer here.

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations

This is certainly quite possibly the most common question asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Do They Cost

The typical price range is between £100 – £300, that is depending upon the difficulty and proportions of your property. There may be an additional charge of about £50 if an EPC is required at the end of the construction. For a number of dwellings of comparable types, then special discounts would be offered.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to show the energy performance of a dwelling. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report created from the Sap calculations that produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is shown on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions that would increase the rating of your dwelling.

There are really 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans when all the elements of the building are known. This would normally be required by building control to demonstrate that the dwelling complies with certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether the many elements going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The 2nd variety of EPC is the typical one that will be needed when you are marketing, or renting out a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where particular thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of your property. This sort of EPC will be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, however what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, then contact us for additional information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations created once the dwelling has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the building starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned dwelling, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not some thing you could do yourself. The calculations need to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government program. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of several certification schemes and is regularly audited to keep their accreditation.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling require Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite modern to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But under the current building regulations the amount of glazing can be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other places within the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the planned extension is not any worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are altering the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. Give us a call, if you are uncertain if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Bristol . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice