Sap Calculation Company Chorley

Low cost skilled Sap Assessors. We will offer free guidance for your project. Why not get in touch to get a quote on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Are Sap Calculations

Have building control or maybe your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Chorley. But why do you need them and exactly what are sap calculations anyway? Then read on.

You can either click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Chorley SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Chorley SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Chorley SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the united kingdom government’s means of calculating the energy efficiency of properties. These calculations are needed to show that a building complies with certain energy targets set down in the building regs.

As a brief overview, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for 3 reasons

1. For all new properties
2. For a dwelling change of use,for example altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

The computations will be carried out by a qualified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is not any need to visit the property as all of the computations are carried out from the building plans . An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced after the computations are finished.

Your Assessor can provide you with additional advice if the calculation show your building isn’t compliant, as well as tell you which will be the best changes to make. It can be costly if you realise at a late stage in the construction that your building isn’t compliant. So it’s best to liaise with your Assessor as early on during the project as possible.

Should you need advice on a project you may have in , or require a quote, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


SAP Calculations in Chorley The Ten Most Frequent Questions Asked.

What Are Sap Calculations

This is certainly quite possibly the most frequent query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Do They Cost

This could can vary considerably depending upon the size and complication of the property, however an average budget will be between £120 – £300. There may be a further cost of around £50 if an EPC is called for at the end of the construction. Special discounts would typically be available for multiple dwellings especially when they are of the identical style of building.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to display the energy effectiveness of a property. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report from the SAP calculations in an simple to grasp document, which could also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are really 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans where all of the components of the construction are known. This would normally be required by building control to show that the dwelling satisfies certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all the elements going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second form of EPC is the regular one that would be required for anybody who is marketing, or renting a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specific thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of the property. This particular EPC will be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, then simply give us a call for additional information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations generated once the dwelling has been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed building, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not some thing that can be done yourself. The calculations have to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government software. The Assessor needs to be approved under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their certification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite popular to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the latest building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other parts of the property will need to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the proposed extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is modifying the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. If you’re not certain whether you need them, then give us a call.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years experience carrying Sap calculation in Chorley . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice