Fast Sap Calculations Christ Church

A team of professional Surveyors offering sap calculations in your area. Contact us for a quotation on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Are Sap Calculations

For anyone who is reading this article, you’ve probably been recently requested by someone, typically your building control representative, to provide sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can either click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Christ Church SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Christ Church SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Christ Church SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the UK government’s procedure for determining the energy efficiency of properties. Sap calculations are necessary to show that a building conforms with specific energy targets set down within the building regs.

That’s basically it in a brief overview.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new properties
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, e.g altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The sap calculations must establish that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) conform to specified targets.

Sap calculations are carried out by a certified and certified On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property because all of the calculations are carried out from the building plans ,so a good set of plans are very important. Once the calculations are done, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

If the sap calculations show that your property isn’t compliant, then Assessor will give you advice on upgrades that can be made to make it so. It can be expensive if you find out at a late stage in the construction that your building is not compliant. So it’s best to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible.

If you need advice on a project you could have in , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Want an answer to a query you may have about SAP calculations in Christ Church? The following are the 10 most common questions.

So, What Are Sap Calculations

This really is by far the most common question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

We will be pleased to provide discount rates, in particular for properties that are of the same or very similar construction. For individual properties then you would be looking in the range of £120 – £300 depending on the difficulty of your building and the size. By providing the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, this is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to show the energy efficiency of a dwelling. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report produced by the Sap calculations that produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is expressed on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions which would increase the rating of your dwelling.

There are actually 2 types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans where all of the components of the construction are known. This will normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that the property satisfies specific targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which shows in detail whether the many elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd sort of EPC is the typical one that would be necessary when you are selling, or renting a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specified thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This type of EPC will be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still confused, after that give us a call for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations created after the dwelling has been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed dwelling, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not some thing that you can do by yourself. Sap calculations have to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software programs. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their accreditation.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property require Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now fashionable to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But under the present building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts of the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions from the current house and the proposed extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is changing the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. If you’re not sure whether you will need them, then simply phone us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Christ Church . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice