Sap Assessors Elmbridge

Affordable knowledgeable Sap Assessors. We offer no cost advice on your project. Why not give us a call for a estimate on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control or perhaps your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Elmbridge. Why will you need them and what exactly are sap calculations anyhow? Then continue reading.

You can click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Elmbridge SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Elmbridge SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Elmbridge SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s method of calculating the energy performance of dwellings. Sap calculations are necessary to illustrate that a building conforms with specific energy targets set down in the building regulations.

In a quick summary, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built properties
2. For a dwelling change of use, such as altering a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The two main areas which the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the dwelling are within set tolerances and that certain elements of the property, such as the roof, walls , windows and floors comply with specified thermal targets.

Sap calculations will be carried out by a professional and accredited On Construction Domestic Energy Assessoror OCDEA for short. There is no need to visit the property as all the calculations are carried out from the building plans . An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced once the calculations are finished.

Your Assessor can provide you with further advice if the calculations show your building isn’t compliant, as well as tell you which would be the most effective improvements to make. It’s essential to liaise with your Assessor as early on in your project as possible because once the building is finished any non-compliances could be quite costly to rectify.

Should you need advice on a project you could have in or around , or simply require a quote, call us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Need an answer to a query you might have about SAP calculations in Elmbridge? Here are the 10 most common questions.

What Are Sap Calculations?

This really is quite possibly the most frequent question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

What Is The Cost Of Sap Calculations

This might can vary considerably dependant upon the size and complexity of the dwelling, but a typical price range would be between £120 – £300. There may be another charge of about £50 if an EPC is called for at the end of the build. Discounts would typically be available for multiple properties especially if they are of the same style of construction.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a building. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report from the SAP calculations in an simple to comprehend report, which can also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are really 2 types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans where all the elements of the building are known. This would normally be required by building control to demonstrate that the property meets specific targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all the components going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd sort of EPC is the regular one that will be required if you are selling, or renting a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specified thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This particular EPC would be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still confused, after that call us for further information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations produced when the dwelling has been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it ought to have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned dwelling, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not some thing that you can do yourself. Sap calculations need to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software programs. The Assessor has to be certified under one of several certification schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their qualification.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new property need to have Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite trendy to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However with the existing building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations in the thermal elements in other areas within the property will have to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house and the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are altering the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. Contact us, if you are unsure if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with many years experience carrying Sap calculation in Elmbridge . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 which means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice