Hackney Top Sap Assessors

We undertake most sizes of non commercial assignments needing SAP calculations. All this at the best prices. Get in touch for a quotation for your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, What Exactly Are They?

Have building control or even your architect requested you to get sap calculations in Hackney. Why do you need them and exactly what are sap calculations anyhow? Then keep reading.

You can either click on the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Hackney SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Hackney SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Hackney SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s method of determining the energy performance of dwellings. These calculations are needed to prove your building complies with specified energy targets set down within the building regulations.

That’s more or less it in a simple overview.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Some of the reasons you might be asked for sap calculations
1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all newly build properties
3. For a dwelling change of use, for example a barn conversion

The two main areas which the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from your property are within set tolerances and that certain elements of the property, such as the walls, windows , floors and roof comply with specified thermal energy targets.

A good set of construction drawings will need to be provided to the Assessor, as all the calculations are done from the building drawings . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. Once the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

Your Assessor can provide additional guidance if the calculation show your building isn’t compliant, as well as explain to you which is the most effective improvements to make. It is important to liaise with your Assessor as early on in your project as possible because once the building is completed any non-compliances might be quite costly to rectify.

If you require guidance on a project you could have in or around Hackney , or require a quotation, contact us or fill in our get a quotation form.


Rather than trawl through a entire website to find the answers you’re trying to find, we’ve supplied answers to the ten most common queries asked about SAP in Hackney.

Sap Calculations, What Exactly Are They?

This is certainly by far the most frequent question asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

We would be pleased to offer discounts, in particular for properties that are the exact same or very similar design. But typically for a single property the price will be in the area of £120 – £300. By providing the plans, you will be able to get yourself a fixed quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, this is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a property. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement from the SAP calculations in an easy to understand document, that can also be used to market or rent out a property.

There are actually 2 kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans where all of the elements of the building are known. This will normally be required by building control to show that the property meets specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether the many components going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The second variety of EPC is the typical one that will be necessary for anyone who is selling, or renting out a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where particular thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This kind of EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, however what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still confused, then simply call us to get more assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations created once the building has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed construction, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing you could do by yourself. Sap calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government software programs. The Assessor has to be certified under one of several accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their certification.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property need to have Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite modern to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But with the present building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other places of the property will need to be made to show the CO2 emissions from the existing house and the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is changing the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. Call us, if you are not certain if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Hackney . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 which means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice