Fast Sap Calculations High Wycombe

Are you searching for Sap calculations in South East or High Wycombe, then you definitely have come to the right place. Call us today for a quote on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, What are They?

Have building control, or even your architect asked that you get sap calculations. But why do you need them and precisely what are sap calculations anyhow? Then continue reading.

You can click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



High Wycombe SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

High Wycombe SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

High Wycombe SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the united kingdom government’s means of determining the energy efficiency of properties. These calculations are needed to prove that your building conforms with specific energy targets laid down within the building regs.

That’s more or less it in a simple overview.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you could be asked for sap calculations
1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all newly build properties
3. For a dwelling change of use, for example a barn conversion

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

Sap calculations will be carried out by a certified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property because all the calculations are carried out from the building plans ,so a good set of plans are very important. Once the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

Your Assessor can provide you with further advice in the event the calculation show that your dwelling isn’t compliant, as well as inform you which will be the best improvements to make. It’s crucial that you liaise with the Assessor as early on in your project as possible because once the building is completed any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

If you require guidance on a project you could have in High Wycombe , or require a quote, give us a call or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Rather than trawl through a whole website to obtain the explanations you’re looking for, we’ve provided explanations to the 10 most common questions asked about SAP in High Wycombe.

Sap Calculations, What are They?

This really is quite possibly the most frequent question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

We will be pleased to offer you discount rates, for example for properties which are the exact same or very similar construction. For single dwellings you would then be looking in the range of £120 – £300 dependant upon the complexity of the design along with the measurements. By supplying the plans, you will be able to get a fixed price quote.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to demonstrate the energy performance of a building. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report created from the Sap calculations that produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is expressed on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations that would increase the rating of the dwelling.

There are really two types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans where all the components of the building are known. This would normally be needed by building control to show that a dwelling meets specific targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether all of the elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd sort of EPC is the standard one that would be needed if you are marketing, or renting out a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where certain thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This particular EPC would be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, then simply call us to get more information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations generated when the building has been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned building, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not some thing that can be done yourself. Sap calculations have to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software. The Assessor has to be approved under one of the certification schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their accreditation.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite trendy to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But with the current building regulations the amount of glazing must be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other areas of the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are changing the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. If you’re not certain whether you will need them, then contact us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in High Wycombe . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 to ensure you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice